Should Surface Book 2 Hibernate?

Surface Book 2 owners, does your SB2 hiberate after a period of time? Been having some issues with my SB2 draining the battery when “sleeping” but noticed it never truly hibernates. I’m not sure if it should hibernate at all. I’ve found conflicting information about this on the web.

What should it do? What does powercfg /a report on your SB2?

Below is what a powercfg /a returns on my SB2. Notice it does not list hibernate as a state that’s available.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

The hiberfile type does not support hibernation.

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

Hibernation is not available.

Conversation 4 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    03 June, 2019 - 3:08 am

<p>Are you running HyperV or do you have VisualStudio installed? Both are known to cause problems with/disable sleep and hibernate modes.</p>

• jwpear

Premium Member
      03 June, 2019 - 4:22 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#432609">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>I do have VS 2017 and 2019 Enterprise installed. HyperV is not installed/active. </p><p><br></p><p>It was my understanding that SB/SB2 doesn't hibernate, but rather, uses modern standby. But while trying to track down high battery drain during sleep, I found notes about some hibernating. Made me question whether it supported it out of box and some app disabled, or if some folks just found a way to enable it manually. My attempts to enable fail (powercfg /h).</p><p><br></p><p>My SB2 seems to always have spells of moderate to high battery drain during modern standby. At times, it will completely drain battery in 2-3 days of standby. I can't identify the cause from the data in the sleep study report (powercfg /sleepstudy). I have set to disconnect from network during modern standby (in power and sleep settings).</p><p><br></p><p>Considering a complete reset to see if that addresses the issue, but hate to do all the work to reinstall things if this is just normal config and behavior for the SB. I swear it did not have the battery drain issue during sleep/modern standby when I first got it.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    03 June, 2019 - 10:28 am

<p>Not in front of my SB but I believe it does not hibernate by default, but uses modern standby instead. In other words, what you are seeing is normal. (I think.)</p><p><br></p><p>That said, I do see Hibernate is available on my HP EliteBook. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC