Surface 3 Problems

I have the following issues with my Surface 3 running Windows 10 Anniversary update

Audio stops working  requiring a reboot

Battery life is about half of what it was with Windows 8.1

Has anyone found a solution?

It is interesting I have a Lenovo T430S that works flawlessly on Windows 10 and a device made by Microsoft does not.

Conversation 5 comments

Premium Member
    13 October, 2016 - 7:44 pm

<p>I have had&nbsp;a lot of similar glitches with my Surface 3. I have had it for about 1 and a half years.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>And believe it or not, the Surface itself or Microsoft fixed the problems automatically. It might take a week or so.</p>
    <p>The latest pain in the dupa is if I am playing a file in Groove and push the pause and leave it in pause for 10 or 15 minutes, it won’t play again</p>
    <p>when I push the play button. I have to restart the file with Groove. I usally start the file by double clicking on it in Windows file explorer.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

14 October, 2016 - 8:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#20660">In reply to AllanJ:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>My biggest complaint is of course the audio. I have tried everything. Uninstalling and let it reinstall. install the driver from Microsoft. I even, out of desperation, tried one of those driver update utilities. Just a pain in the rear.</p>

14 October, 2016 - 8:48 am

<p>I have not had any audio issues on my Surface 3 but I was having some wireless connection issues from time to time.&nbsp; So, I reset (keeping my data) and so far, so good.&nbsp; Its a pain to have to resinstall your favorite apps but it does make the machine run a little better.&nbsp; (use to do the same on the desktop from time to time).&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Have you tried a reset?&nbsp;</p>

15 October, 2016 - 3:40 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#20764">In reply to Hondo:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>I have reset it three times. twice to windows 8.1 then to 10 and once a clean install of 10. Nothing has helped. If I let it go to sleep, eventually the sound quits working and I have to reboot it to get it to work again. I will try to go back to an older driver and see if that works.</p>

Premium Member
    14 October, 2016 - 8:54 am

<p>I’ve had similar problems with my Surfacebook after the AU. I took it to Microsoft store twice to fix it and the problem would return. I had the same frustration that I paid good money for a Microsoft device and it had issues that my other device a Dell running Windows 10 with the AU didn’t have.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Fortunately I found a fix from an Insider in a Microsoft forum which requires installing an old audio driver from September 2015. Apparently the AU doesn’t like the audio driver that you probably have with a January 29, 2016 date. Go to this link and it should resolve your problem as I have not had any problems since using the fix found in this link. It’s shame that Microsoft seemingly hasn’t notice that this problem exist but apparently it’s a small portion of users. Maybe they’ll fix it in a future update or Patch Tuesday update. However I expect these nagging driver issues with other OEM but not with Microsoft own hardware as I would expect them to work in harmony.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/fix-for-audio-and-hanging-notifications-problems/529c1a05-f0c0-4fbb-b78a-9b0e99326559?page=1</p&gt;

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC