Surface dock and 1803

I have got a surface pro 2017 edition, and a surface dock, never had a problem with it untill I upgraded to 1803, now I cant get an external screen to work. Both screens simply flash off and on again.

I have even rebuilt my surface and got the same problem.

Has anybody else seen this or got any suggestions?

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    20 May, 2018 - 10:15 am

<p>I don't have a way to test this, sorry. But if you heard about my Bluetooth/USB issues on 1803 on my Intel NUC, I can say that, as of this weekend, that was quietly fixed. By … some Windows Update, I assume. So … maybe there is hope something similar will happen for you as well.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      21 May, 2018 - 7:27 pm

<blockquote><a href="#277533"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>I saw a similar thing happen on my Dell Venue 10 Pro. The trackpad was always managed a garbage Elantech control panel extension.</p><p><br></p><p>I did a fresh install of 1803 and now the Venue's trackpad is managed by the UWP Settings app.</p><p><br></p><p>Thank Dog. The Elantech controls were utter trash.</p>

• MacLiam

Premium Member
    21 May, 2018 - 3:46 pm

<p>Yeah, you're right. I have a 2017 Pro as well, but I usually have it mounted in one of the old Pro 3 docks. It works fine from that connection, but when I connect the Pro to the newer brick-style Dock (I have one that I use with a Surface Book), the monitor can't find the signal. I'm running the latest Dock firmware, so I doubt that's the problem. </p><p><br></p><p>If you skip the dock and push the signal straight from the surface to the monitor, does that work?</p><p><br></p><p>In case it's a screwy driver, you could open a command window with admin privileges and run the command <em>sfc /scannow. </em>That should repair any bad system files in your 1803 install. If that fixes the problem, fine. If not, you are no worse off than you are already, and other options can be explored.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• scj123

Premium Member
      21 May, 2018 - 7:03 pm

<blockquote><a href="#277896"><em>In reply to MacLiam:</em></a></blockquote><p>Sounds like you have the same problem, I can run a monitor fine if I plug it in directly and all worked fine until the upgrade. I have reset windows and the same thing happened straight away.</p><p><br></p><p>sfc/scannow didnt do anything, and I cant do anything with drivers as both screens flash (external and surface screen) which leaves the surface un able to be used until the screen is disconnected.</p><p><br></p><p>seems strange that it worked right up to the point of the upgrade. I am sure Microsoft will issue a fix shortly.</p>

• Polycrastinator

22 May, 2018 - 8:34 am

<blockquote><a href="#277939"><em>In reply to scj123:</em></a></blockquote><p>If a clean install didn't help, I'd be surprised if sfc would help too. If you've not done a reinstall, you could try running a DISM cleanup, from elevated command prompt:</p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth</span></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">Reboot, then run an sfc scan again, reboot. But I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for it to help. Are you able to manually run Windows Update while connected to the dock to see if there's some updated drivers/firmware for the dock?</span></p>

• PeterC

22 May, 2018 - 2:36 am

<p>Hi</p><p>ive got a SP3 and a bloc style surface dock. I have loads of niggling problems. </p><p>It often seems to trigger the sleep of death issue, which I’ve overcome by removing sleep from power options and use hibernate or power down. Often when I connect/disconnect the start icons disappear or remain blank of info. Fixed by opening file explorer and then task manager and restarting file explorer. Sometimes the internet won’t connect and remains on WiFi. If a printers connected to the usb then it’s hit or miss if it connects to print through.</p><p><br></p><p>ive updated the firmware but it’s not changed anything. My SP3 is hanging on but battery is pretty fried now and I get at best 4 hrs use so am holding on to see if they refresh with 8th gen intel chips soon, but even if they do I’m not entirely sure the surface line and dock is worth it’s price point. The surface form factor is great but quality/reliability leaves a lot to be desired IMO. </p><p><br></p><p>Like the previous surface dock, the bloc style dock isn’t all there IMO.</p><p><br></p><p>im looking at Lenovo and their docks seriously.</p>

• Paul O'Flaherty

22 May, 2018 - 7:24 am

<p>I've had occasional problems with external monitors since the start and still get them on 1803. Doesn't happen often but when it does, unplugging the monitors from the dock and reconnecting usually works for me, though sometimes a reboot is required as well.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC