Surface Pro 3

While on business trip last week, while I was using my SP3 right after waking up and packing for a return flight. After a little while, I noticed that the light on the power cord was not lit – it WAS lit when I picked it up. I figured that something went wrong with the power brick.

I didn’t think much about it as the battery was @ 100% and I was packing to catch a flight. I used the SP3 on the plane to connect to Southwest Wifi to watch TV and ran battery down. When I got home, I plugged the SP3 into another power adapter (I have two, one in my travel bag) and sadly the light didn’t light. I tried the various things that were recommended online such as making sure the slot is clear and trying the adapter in both directions.

The SP3 has operated flawlessly for 3 1/2 years and showed no symptoms of imminent death!

I have since ran to the MS store to see what the options are! my extended MS warranty expired in January 2017 and the SP3 IS 3 1/2 years old. I was hoping that they would say battery replacement would be $200 but they only offered a replacement for $595. While that is cheaper than the new Specter X360 I was configuring, it is also 2 generations old and not what I was looking for.

so – I thought I would throw out a few questions here to see if there are better options than a landfill:

Are ideas on how to resurrect the dead SP3?

are there diagnosis and repair options I should consider?

I would like to restore it to working order to have a backup when I do upgrade.

Thanks for any insights!

Don

PS – weird. I edited this thread and had bullets that disappeared…

Register for this Webinar

How Replication Supports Your Company’s RTOs & RPOs
Join us for this free webinar

Can you have your workloads running within the agreed RTOs? Join this webinar with expert speakers from Veeam to exceed business objectives with an RPTO<15 min for ALL of your application and data.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11 a.m EST