Surface Pro 5 Frequent BoD

I picked up a surface pro 5 a few months ago from a microsoft store. I loved it. Probably the best laptop I’ve ever owned.

But in the last 2-3 weeks I’ve been getting ever more frequent BoD’s. Sometimes just minutes apart. Then it will go a day without any problems. But definitely at least one a day. Worst was five in one day.

No warning – things all of a sudden slow down and then – WHAM. No mini dumps are created. Just sits at 0% collecting data and then boots into the UFCI. Exception is almost always the same – UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION. Everything is set up correctly to create dumps but nothing is created. All updates applied.

I haven’t yet reset the machine but I probably will this weekend to see if this fixes things.

Anyone else having these problems? Searching the web results in some hits but no effective resolution other than taking the machine back for an exchange.

Conversation 9 comments

• waethorn

21 November, 2018 - 1:02 pm

<p>Seems lots of people have started getting this in October with no definitive solution:</p><p><br></p><p>answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-fix-unexpected-store-exception-error/8cf70b0f-5c32-4f48-b74d-361ed6b48c79</p><p><br></p><p>Suggestions are:</p><p><br></p><p>1) do a clean install</p><p>2) update your drivers</p><p>3) run (good) disk diagnostics to see if your drive is failing</p><p>4) restore your registry from a backup</p><p><br></p><p>….basically, the same suggestions you always see because nobody has any clue of what they're talking about.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      21 November, 2018 - 2:20 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370784">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>Let's not forget using the file check utility to make sure that the Windows installation is good.</p><p><br></p><p>That's always super effective, because Windows only messes up because of bad files. /s</p>

• waethorn

21 November, 2018 - 2:53 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370857">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>I don't trust it anymore. DISM with the cleanup-image option is better than SFC in my experience, although neither will usually fix errors caused by shoddy updates. I use Malwarebytes Toolset (only available to MB partners) and it repairs more problems than the built-in MS tools.</p>

• timo47

Premium Member
    21 November, 2018 - 1:23 pm

<p>The update history page for the SP5 shows a lot of updates, including in September and October.</p><p><br></p><p>Chances are one of those updates is the culprit. Unfortunately, without a dump it will be difficult to see which driver exactly is causing the problem. I would recommend you go backwards (starting from the most recent) through that update list and one by one revert to a previous version of those drivers that were pushed as part of the recent "firmware" updates.</p><p><br></p><p>If the problem is indeed in one of the drivers, a complete reinstall will not help.</p><p><br></p><p>Edit: it might also be a good idea to check which applications you installed right before the problems began.</p>

• waethorn

21 November, 2018 - 1:53 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370798">In reply to timo47:</a></em></blockquote><p>If Microsoft is pushing Surface drivers through Windows Update, isn't Windows just going to re-update any and all drivers automatically, as soon as the system is connected back up to the Internet?</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        21 November, 2018 - 2:13 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370825">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p><a href="https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10&quot; target="_blank">Driver updates can – and should – be disabled. </a></p>

• timo47

Premium Member
        21 November, 2018 - 2:17 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370825">In reply to Waethorn:</a></em></blockquote><p>You can block drivers from being updated via Windows Update via a Group Policy. Open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), navigate to Computer Configuration &gt; Administrative Templates &gt; Windows Components &gt; Windows Update and enable the policy "Do not include drivers with Windows Update".</p><p><br></p><p>Or if you want to block a specific driver or other update from being reinstalled, you can download and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter. Do a search for "How to temporarily prevent a Windows Update from reinstalling in Windows 10" (I'm having troubles posting direct links).</p><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          21 November, 2018 - 2:49 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370855">In reply to timo47:</a></em></blockquote><p>That's a pretty convoluted way of doing it. Using the provided UI is better.</p>

• waethorn

21 November, 2018 - 2:57 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370855">In reply to timo47:</a></em></blockquote><p>NOBODY should have to do that, but that says a lot. Maybe nobody should buy a Surface. I can install various Linux distros on numerous different PC's and not have the update problems that Microsoft has, and yet they are the 1st-party vendor of the OS on their hardware!!</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC