Surface Pro 7 – I3 Model

does anyone out there have the I3 model of the SP7 and what are your experiences? I know it will not be like a I5 or I7 but I am not a power user. Browsing, Web development, some ripping of DVDs.

The new Pro7+ doubles the memory and updates the processor — so I am bet that helps… so any real experience?

my two current machines are an I5 SP 3 with 8GB and an I7 HP Spectre 360 with 16 GB

Conversation 5 comments

• paradyne

14 January, 2021 - 8:12 am

<p>You can compare the processors in the intel site:</p><p><br></p><p>The Pro 7 is a intel-core-i3-1005g1-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz</p><p>And the 7+ is a intel-core-i3-1115g4-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz</p><p><br></p><p>Personally I think browsing is a resource heavyweight activity as there's scripts to compile and execute, lots of IO operations, all kinds of media. And at the same time people expect it to instantly respond.</p><p><br></p><p>I would rather go with a discounted or nearly new i5 with 8GB. I am a developer (C++,C#,F#) and find that spec works perfectly well. An i3 with 4GB will work but you'll keep wishing you'd got the faster one instead.</p>

• darkgrayknight

Premium Member
      14 January, 2021 - 12:30 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#607374">In reply to paradyne:</a></em></blockquote><p>As a web developer I can attest to the web browsing is a "resource heavyweight activity" for sure these days. If you really get an i3, I would make sure to disable ads and tracking as much as possible. But really, get an i5 when they are on sale.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    14 January, 2021 - 8:53 am

<p>Don't get an i3. The big thing is dual-core vs. quad-core.</p><p><br></p><p>Remember that Surface Pro and bundles are on sale all the time. Just wait a few months if you're thinking about this device.</p>

• jamie_webster

16 January, 2021 - 10:19 am

<p>Yeah go for the i5 an i3 with 4gb ram isn't very future proof. It won't feel like a Surface!! I have a I5 SP3 still going strong with damaged touch screen. I use it for light coding. And for Linux installs. Runs everything fine </p>

• ecumenical

19 January, 2021 - 1:37 pm

<p>If you are in the US, current prices on Microsoft.com show only a $50 difference between i3 and lowest i5 model ($749 vs $799). This is an absolute no-brainer, $50 for quad core and 8GB of RAM instead of dual core and 4GB of RAM. And the i5 is still fanless if that's a concern for you.</p><p><br></p><p>The quad is a noticeably upgrade in my experience, I went from a dual core Skylake to a quad core Kaby Lake+ (or whatever, 8000 series) and it's a clear upgrade having two more cores available.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC