Surface Pro 7 – I3 Model

does anyone out there have the I3 model of the SP7 and what are your experiences? I know it will not be like a I5 or I7 but I am not a power user. Browsing, Web development, some ripping of DVDs.

The new Pro7+ doubles the memory and updates the processor — so I am bet that helps… so any real experience?

my two current machines are an I5 SP 3 with 8GB and an I7 HP Spectre 360 with 16 GB

Comments (5)

5 responses to “Surface Pro 7 – I3 Model”

1. Avatar

paradyne

You can compare the processors in the intel site:

The Pro 7 is a intel-core-i3-1005g1-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz

And the 7+ is a intel-core-i3-1115g4-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz

Personally I think browsing is a resource heavyweight activity as there's scripts to compile and execute, lots of IO operations, all kinds of media. And at the same time people expect it to instantly respond.

I would rather go with a discounted or nearly new i5 with 8GB. I am a developer (C++,C#,F#) and find that spec works perfectly well. An i3 with 4GB will work but you'll keep wishing you'd got the faster one instead.

2. Avatar

Paul Thurrott

Don't get an i3. The big thing is dual-core vs. quad-core.

Remember that Surface Pro and bundles are on sale all the time. Just wait a few months if you're thinking about this device.

3. Avatar

jamie_webster

Yeah go for the i5 an i3 with 4gb ram isn't very future proof. It won't feel like a Surface!! I have a I5 SP3 still going strong with damaged touch screen. I use it for light coding. And for Linux installs. Runs everything fine

4. Avatar

ecumenical

If you are in the US, current prices on Microsoft.com show only a $50 difference between i3 and lowest i5 model ($749 vs $799). This is an absolute no-brainer, $50 for quad core and 8GB of RAM instead of dual core and 4GB of RAM. And the i5 is still fanless if that's a concern for you.

The quad is a noticeably upgrade in my experience, I went from a dual core Skylake to a quad core Kaby Lake+ (or whatever, 8000 series) and it's a clear upgrade having two more cores available.

Leave a Reply