Surface Studio might have PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD

iFixit’s teardown of the Surface Studio with Intel Core i5 reveals a SATA 3.0 SSD.

That said, someone is claiming that his Surface Studio with Intel Core i7 has a PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD.

Specifically: 128GB Toshiba XG3 THNSN5128GPU7 M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD 

The Rapid Hybrid Drive is using Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT)

Is anyone able to verify this?

Comments (7)

7 responses to “Surface Studio might have PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD”

1. 8729

Toshiba XG3 M.2 NVMe SSD

So, there you have it.

2. 5664

Pretty sure that this is common knowledge at this point. Surface Studio IS a great example of PC technology, I see no reason why SRT wouldn't be used.

In reply to jimchamplin:

well the i5 model uses a sata 3 ssd, which is kinda disappointing for that model and price, it's anything but great. The i7 one is more like it.

In reply to FalseAgent:

And the hard drive from a tear down I saw is a 5400 RPM model with 8MB cache that was released back in 2011.  Seems like they spent everything on the screen so they had to keep everything else cheap, considering the overall price.

In reply to FalseAgent:

I'd love to see the actual results of someone upgrading the SSD and the HD in this thing. Bump the NVMe SSD to a larger, faster one, and replace the SATA HD with a better SATA-based SSD.

In reply to jimchamplin: http://www.haystack.tv/v/microsoft-surface-studio-ssd-upgrade

In reply to jimchamplin:

Just watch or listen to the beginning of the most recent Windows Weekly: The ARMS Have It. Leo replaced the hybrid drive in his i5 Surface Studio and discusses the resulting performance boost -- something on the order of 4 times the read/write speed.