What do you want to see in a Surface Book 2

Well, it’s late on a Saturday…so what do you want to see in a SB2?

Conversation 26 comments

Premium Member
    05 November, 2016 - 8:12 pm

<p>Come out of sleep when I open it up or press the button</p>
    <p>Don’t spaz out when I dock or undock you while Windows is running</p>
    <p>- Sincerely, a SP4 owner&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
      05 November, 2016 - 8:14 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#24720">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/sott3">sott3</a><a href="#24720">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Fair.</p>

05 November, 2016 - 8:08 pm

<ol>
    <li>At least one Thunderbolt 3/USB-C in the keyboard and Clipboard</li>
    <li>Smart frames (no bezel when connected to keyboard; regular bezel when in Clipboard mode)</li>
    <li>Small and thin stylus in a silo or stored in gap of hinge (N-Trig had this 4 years ago&nbsp;<a href="http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/18/3523878/n-trig-rechargeable-stylus-supercapacitor">N-Trig Super Capacitor Pen</a>)</li>
    <li>More battery in Clipboard</li>
    <li>LTE Option</li>
    <li>Fix keyboard backlight (impossible to see key lettering if not dark; uneven lighting)</li>
    </ol>

05 November, 2016 - 8:13 pm

<p>Thunderbolt 3.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

05 November, 2016 - 8:17 pm

<p>Interchangeable parts (i.e. buying the screen and power base separately as mentioned on The Sams Report). Apparently nobody at Microsoft has ever heard of Eli Whitney.</p>

06 November, 2016 - 7:21 am

<p>I like to use it to write on, and I’d appreciate a better writing angle. Today, flipping the screen around then closing it leaves a very slight angle, maybe 5 degrees, I’d like it more like 10 or 15.</p>

06 November, 2016 - 7:44 am

<p>1. Proper quad core&nbsp;i7 not the mobile one.</p>
    <p>2. 3 USB&nbsp;C &amp; Thunderbolt 3 ports (1 for charging&nbsp;and 2 free) + 1 USB 3</p>
    <p>3. Except for replacing the charging port, the DP, and the USB ports, don’t remove anything else; keep the card reader the headphone&nbsp;port, the escape key, and the function keys&nbsp;?</p>

07 November, 2016 - 12:56 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#24756">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/TheBlueSky">TheBlueSky</a><a href="#24756">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Number 1 is going to require a laptop form factor. There’s no way you can get the required heat dissipation in the tablet form factor.</p>

06 November, 2016 - 9:06 am

<ul>
    <li>Compatibility with existing Surface Dock</li>
    <li>Quad core i7, something that can actually keep up with a MacBook Pro for video processing</li>
    <li>USB-C and USB 3.0 ports</li>
    <li>Power management. Sleep, and stay sleeping, when the lid is closed</li>
    </ul>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Honestly I feel that my Surface Book is the best all around laptop I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned MacBooks. My only complaints are the power management issues, and a quad core i7 MBP runs circles around the SB when editing video.&nbsp;</p>

08 November, 2016 - 1:34 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#24764">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/JClishe">JClishe</a><a href="#24764">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>You can disable the DGPU on an app basic in the Nvidia Control panel it allows you to set the default DGPU and set the default for individual apps.&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    06 November, 2016 - 12:11 pm

<p>USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 for expansion, not Surface Connect.</p>
    <p>No tear-drop hole/gap.</p>
    <p>Optional non-removable screen for better reliability/Ultrabook form factor (this one will never happen).</p>
    <p>An external screen option that will make this thing a Surface Studio.</p>

07 November, 2016 - 8:21 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#24783">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/paul-thurrott">paul-thurrott</a><a href="#24783">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>for the joy of discussion</p>
      <p>There have been a number of requests that there be a Surface Ultrabook (supposedly what MS customers were asking for?) but the market&nbsp;for a Windows Ultrabook seems well served by the OEMs. What is lacking in the Windows Ultrabook market that a Microsoft device would provide?</p>
      <p>it seems like a Surface Ultrabook would be more like direct competition (hence Paul’s "this one will never happen" comment?)</p>
      <p>&nbsp;</p>

07 November, 2016 - 5:10 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#24851">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/Simard57">Simard57</a><a href="#24851">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>Given the problems with Surface Book attach/detach which I believe will NEVER be solved, why does the market need this product. Surface Pro is enough.</p>
        <p>Honestly after the Surface Studio high, I’m feeling very negative about Microsoft now. Apple is actually more forward thinking with Macbook Pro using all USB-C ports and integrating TouchID.</p>

06 November, 2016 - 12:29 pm

<p>I just got my Surface Book, so I cannot really say much about what improvements I would like to see, but judging by my first impressions I would like to see the following:</p>
    <ul>
    <li>Ability to disable the discreet graphics card / enable it on an app basis</li>
    <li>Put the headphone jack lower..</li>
    <li>Make the keyboard part sturdier.&nbsp;</li>
    <li>Fix all power management issues</li>
    <li>Add a Thunderbolt 3 port but do not get rid of USB 3</li>
    </ul>

07 November, 2016 - 9:54 am

<p>1. Thin</p>
    <p>2. Light</p>
    <p>3. No bugs</p>
    <p>4. Affordable</p>
    <p>Basically, everything MS will not be delivering.</p>

07 November, 2016 - 11:05 am

<p>Better balance. &nbsp;Using the touch screen of Surface Book while on your lap causes the device to tip…precariously. &nbsp;Having the user thrust their knees upward to counter the motion is awkward. &nbsp;Having to move the other hand off the keyboard to brace the laptop is also awkward.&nbsp;</p>

07 November, 2016 - 3:05 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#24908">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/TEAMSWITCHER">TEAMSWITCHER</a><a href="#24908">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>That’s physics. That happens with all touch screens.</p>
      <p>Unless you want the base to be like 10lbs.</p>

07 November, 2016 - 12:54 pm

<p>I want a Thunderbolt/USB-C port on the tablet component of the device. A Dial that’s sized more appropriately for the small screen.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Reliability. I want to see reliability in a SB2.</p>

07 November, 2016 - 5:07 pm

<p>Looks like Microsoft is not into delivering quality product anymore. I doubt we’ll see any improvement in the sleep/wake issues or Thunderbolt 3 for that matter. Satya Nadella has pretty much given up on hardware it seems to me. All he cares about his Office &amp; Azure.</p>
    <p>Oh, and don’t get me started on the forced Windows updates. That’s just downright criminal at this point. Even Apple does not force security updates on macOS.</p>

09 November, 2016 - 5:33 am

<p>I’d say most would like;</p>
    <p>Something that works</p>
    <p>Something that’s reliable</p>
    <p>Something that’s actually been through some sort of viable QA/QC process</p>
    <p>Something not full of bugs</p>

Premium Member
    09 November, 2016 - 10:14 am

<p>&nbsp;</p>
    <ul>
    <li>1 USB Type A</li>
    <li>2 or 3 USB type C (one on clipboard, one (or two) on base)</li>
    <li>1 SD card slot</li>
    <li>1 Surface connector</li>
    <li>A screen texture that feels like paper (similar to Surface Hub)</li>
    <li>Black keys with white lettering</li>
    <li>Pen lag down to 1ms</li>
    <li>Fingerprint reader</li>
    </ul>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>

17 November, 2016 - 12:38 pm

<ul>
    <li>Add a flip out kickstand to the screen just like the Surface Pro.</li>
    <li>Same battery life as Surface Pro when in tablet mode.</li>
    </ul>

11 February, 2017 - 10:42 am

<p>1. One USB gen A in clipboard&nbsp;</p>
    <p>2. USB Thunderbolt 3/USB C in Base + 1 USB gen A</p>
    <p>3. Core M fanless clipboard (for longer battery life )</p>
    <p>4. LTE option on clipboard&nbsp;</p>
    <p>5. Fingerprint reader</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

11 February, 2017 - 12:54 pm

<p>A blue one.</p>

11 February, 2017 - 2:15 pm

<p>Unrealistic wish: Combine the Surface Book and Surface Pro. Start with the tablet portion of the Book, and add the ability to snap on type covers as well as the keyboard base.</p>
    <p>Realistic:</p>
    <p>2 Type C ports (Thunderbolt)&nbsp;and 1 "legacy" Type A</p>
    <p>256gb SSD for the base model</p>
    <p>Fingerprint reader</p>
    <p>Tilt-sensitive pen</p>
    <p>Quad-core option</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

• will

Premium Member
    17 February, 2017 - 11:58 am

<p>I would like to see them continue to refine what they have now:</p><p>1) Better keyboard – The current one is very hard to read in certain lighting conditions and could be quieter</p><p>2) Light Sensor – The current keyboard does not have a light sensor, so you have to manually turn it on or off</p><p>3) Reduce weight – With improvements in technology reduce the weight to get it under 3lbs total</p><p>4) Updated ports – Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 port</p><p>5) Screen bounce – See what can be done to reduce or eliminate the screen bounce</p><p>6) LTE – We have lots of people in the field and an LTE option would be nice, but I see this more on the Surface Pro side</p><p><br></p><p>The last one is not a book idea, but create a Surface monitor that allows the book to dock and it be turned into a Surface Studio</p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC