New Surface Pro 7 Throttling to 200MHz After 2 Months, Exchange Warranty Only 3 Months, History of Devices Overheating

I purchased a Surface Pro 7 to upgrade from my already replaced Surface Pro 4, which itself was getting too slow to effectively work on.

However after spending over £2,000 on the new device, dock, keyboard etc. the new device regularly throttles the processor down from about 3.5GHz to just 0.19GHz making it unusable (the last time processors were that speed was about 1996).

A Microsoft representative connected to the machine remotely and accepted my hardware was definitely faulty after finding he couldn’t even type messages into Notepad it was that slow.

He offered me a refund, replacement or advanced exchange where you basically pay for a second device and are refunded once you return the other one.

The following day after over 3.5hrs on the phone I was told that as the device was over 30 days old I could not have a refund (someone even told me I wasn’t eligible for anything).

However during conversation I was told how the new device would be under warranty for 3 months but that means in effect they are reducing my warranty because their hardware is faulty.

Given my history with Surface devices I think there is a real danger I will be left with an unusable device after the replacement fails with no recourse and the only option to spend another £2,000 to buy something reliable.

These are my experiences and as you can see reliability is on a downward trend:

• Surface 1 (did not fail) – Often would go to sleep and wouldn’t turn back on again
  • Surface RT 2 (did not fail) – Same issue as 1
  • Surface Pro 3 (failed after under 2 years) – Power brick failed and was replaced. Very poor performance, getting very hot and shutting down randomly with thermometer icon appearing on screen requiring time to cool before it could be used again
  • Surface Pro 4 (failed after just over 1 year) – Very poor performance, battery expanding and bursting out of device, brown staining on screen, screen popping off, device very hot, was told device was a danger to life and to dispose of it
  • Second Surface Pro 4 (was starting to fail after 8 months) – Performance getting increasingly bad so replaced with a Surface Pro 7
  • Surface Pro 7 (failed in just over 2 months) – Much worse performance than any previous Surface device making device almost impossible to use, device dangerously hot, Surface Dock randomly disconnects every day and/or blurs screens whilst working and has done since day 1.

Conversation 9 comments

• robinwilson16

07 November, 2020 - 7:28 am

<p>I posted to the Microsoft forums but no-one from Microsoft responded:</p><p>https:// answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro7-surfperf/surface-pro-7-core-i7-throttling-cpu-to-059ghz/2ad7d8e5-2254-4bb7-a454-4ece636035a3</p><p>(remove space in link above)</p>

• drb1979

07 November, 2020 - 9:08 am

<p>Using £ makes me think your in the UK, if so consumer law will protect you. If Microsoft dont exchange, dispute the charge on your credit card</p><p><br></p><p>FWIW I've used 4 Surface devices over the years – diff models – and never had any issues, just my experience.</p><p><br></p><p>In fact we are thinking of deploying them at work and getting rid of crappy HP and Dell machines!</p>

• robinwilson16

07 November, 2020 - 7:32 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#591334">In reply to drb1979:</a></em></blockquote><p>From my own experience, they start out working well, performing quickly and never getting warm with fan only kicking in on occasion. Then as time goes on performance gradually goes downhill, fan is on 100% of the time and device is always very hot. One that is regularly used as a main device may become unusable after a year when standard warranty has expired. This is just my own experience though and from Googling my issues online.</p>

• 02nz

07 November, 2020 - 10:06 am

<p>I had the Surface Pro 3 and 4, and briefly used a 6 before returning. I did not have the serious issues you did, but lots of little annoyances (esp. with sleep), and wi-fi performance was inconsistent because of the awful Marvell chip they used before the Surface Pro 7 (which switched to Intel). I like the design and build, but given pricing (which is exorbitant for storage upgrades, higher than Apple!) I've basically ruled out Surface devices for future purchase. </p>

• robinwilson16

07 November, 2020 - 7:26 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#591348">In reply to 02nz:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes I had issues with WiFi too. I used a USB dongle attached to the Surface Dock eventually after previously drilling a hold in the hall wall downstairs to position the Access Point as close as possible as WiFi performance always dropped when the device heated up, aside from my other issues. WiFi on the 7 has been ok, even when it did heat up to 90-100 degrees trying to do a Teams call!</p>

• yaddamaster

07 November, 2020 - 11:45 am

<p>I have four surface devices: a pro 5 and 7 and two surface books (1st gen bought refurb). I did buy the extended two year warranty on the pro 5 because I bought it from a microsoft store. Glad I did as I had a problem on the 5 that they immediately exchanged for a new one.</p><p><br></p><p>Having said all that – while I LOVE my surface devices I am very hesitant about buying another now that there is no physical store to visit. Having a store local was awesome. I took it in and they verified right then and there it was blue screening for no reason and gave me a new machine.</p><p><br></p><p>If I had to do that over the internet I'd be mad.</p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft, I get it. You were losing money on the stores. But they were a way to evangelize your products. And they gave peace of mind to customers.</p>

• robinwilson16

07 November, 2020 - 7:22 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#591387">In reply to yaddamaster:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes dealing with them online has not been easy and they all told me different things and all they wanted to do was transfer me to another dept who couldn't help me either after a 30min wait each time. Terrible!</p>

• bschnatt

07 November, 2020 - 11:46 am

<p>Dude, not to be an ass, but buy an HP or a Dell. Microsoft clearly hasn't figured out how to build a reliable machine yet.</p><p><br></p><p>By the way, not too long ago I suggested that Microsoft should stop licensing Windows to other manufacturers and just make it for their own machines (to make it easier to release updates, yada, yada), but I take that back! If what you say is true, that would be disastrous for the PC industry…</p>

• robinwilson16

07 November, 2020 - 7:19 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#591388">In reply to bschnatt:</a></em></blockquote><p>I know, I thought I would give them another chance. My worst mistake seems to be buying from the Microsoft Store as had a bought from John Lewis like last time I could have had a refund up to 2 years after purchase. For such unreliable devices, good customer service is crucial. I just phoned the store after having had the device for just under 2 years, they said bring it in and they would give me a refund. With Microsoft you can't get a refund after 30 days no matter how faulty your device is and to find this out you must spend hours on the phone.</p><p><br></p><p>I will never again buy hardware from the Microsoft Store.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC