Please Help! After failed Windows 11 Update, I can no longer use my mouse and keyboard

Evening all.

I just attempted to download and install the latest updates. For the first time, I encountered the message of something along the lines of “encountered an unexpected problem but don’t worry, we’ll fix it, undoing what we did.” All seemed fine.

But at the next reboot, I’m now at the lock screen to log on, but my keyboard and mouse inputs are no longer being accepted. They were working fine before the reboot.

Does anyone have any advice?

Conversation 6 comments

• SherlockHolmes

Premium Member
    26 April, 2022 - 8:24 am

<p>When its an Laptop, then try to use an external mouse and keyboard and then do a reset. When its a desktop PC, do the same When the external devices work, then do either ein refresh in Windows or log into your Bios and do a complete reinstall after deleting the hdd. I hope you have the data saved. Other then that, bring the device to custom support. </p>

• SherlockHolmes

Premium Member
      26 April, 2022 - 8:25 am

<p>Hopefully you have the data on your hdd saved on an other hdd or in the cloud. </p>

• simont

Premium Member
    26 April, 2022 - 11:31 am

<p>Wired or wireless keyboard and mouse? If it is wireless, see if you can find some generic USB wired keyboard and plug that in.</p>

• dftf

26 April, 2022 - 1:16 pm

<p>Yeah, as others have said: plug-in a USB keyboard and mouse at the login screen, wait about 15-20 seconds for them to finish installing, and they should work.</p><p><br></p><p>If not, then it’s likely as part of the <em>Windows Updates</em> there’s been a driver-update for your USB ports. The only other thing you could do is to create a Windows 11 install-media (either USB or DVD, assuming your device still has the latter) and then boot from that and use the "Repair your computer" option, and then use <em>System Restore</em> from there to rollback. You probably won’t be able to do this though if you have BitLocker or any-other disk-encryption enabled though.</p><p><br></p><p>Also: if you can manage to at-least just get a USB mouse to work, then if you click the "Accessibility" icon (the one that looks like the outline of a person) then you can use the "on-screen keyboard" to enter your password that way.</p>

• dftf

27 April, 2022 - 5:16 am

<p><strong>@Paul, Laurent or other site admins</strong>: if you click on the user’s profile ("TEK.DALLAS") at the top of this post, it goes to an error-page saying the user may not exist. Yet if you click on their profile on the main website homepage (in the "Currently on Forums" side-panel) then it does work from there.</p><p><br></p><p>It seems that when you click on the link in this post, it puts a hyphen between the username, not a full-stop (period), which breaks the link.</p>

• Antonios

28 April, 2023 - 4:29 am

If you’re unable to use your mouse and keyboard after a failed Windows 11 update, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try: —–Restart your computer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve the issue. —–Check your USB connections: Make sure your mouse and keyboard are properly connected to your computer’s USB ports. Try unplugging and plugging them back in to ensure a secure connection. —–Try different USB ports: If your mouse and keyboard are still not working, try plugging them into different USB ports on your computer. —–Use the on-screen keyboard: If your keyboard is not working, you can use the on-screen keyboard to navigate your computer. Press the Windows key and search for “On-Screen Keyboard” to open it. —–Boot into safe mode: Try booting your computer into safe mode to see if the mouse and keyboard work. To do this, restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. Select “Safe Mode” and press Enter. —–Use a system restore point: If none of the above steps work, you can try using a system restore point to roll back your computer to a previous state before the failed Windows 11 update.—–Regards,

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC