Re: Insider ISO 17713.1002 Too Big

Folks,

The new ISO for insider build 17713.1002 is 4.9 Gb and you can’t write anything bigger than 4.4 Gb onto a single-layer DVD-R disc. They’ve done this maybe once or twice before and soon they issue a new ISO where they pare down the contents to a manageable size.

I think it could be put on a USB stick with the tool and I may need to do this anyway.

Your thoughts??

Conversation 18 comments

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    03 August, 2018 - 2:40 pm

<p>IOW, MSFT doesn't actually burn ISO images to DVD discs before releasing to the public.</p>

• snow.steve22

Premium Member
      03 August, 2018 - 3:20 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#298950">In reply to hrlngrv:</a></em></blockquote><p>Ah, but I do. It's a lot more convenient. Still, I won't be able to wait this time.</p><p><br></p><p>You'd think, though, they would at least try it out as a form of QA – Wait… they let go of all the QA people didn't they.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      04 August, 2018 - 2:16 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#298950">In reply to hrlngrv:</a></em></blockquote><p>Most PCs these days don't have DVD drives, they are also slow. Putting it on an USB stick and running it at USB 3.0 speeds is a lot faster and more efficient and you aren't restricted to 4.4GB… And for testing, a lot of people will use VMs, where, again, you don't need to "burn" a physical medium, just mount the ISO image.</p><p>How many Surface devices have a DVD player? How many modern laptops have a DVD drive?</p><p>The last laptop I bought with a DVD drive was 2010, although my Ryzen machine does have a DVD player, but I've never used it.</p><p>At work, even for the older machines that do have a DVD drive, I just slap the Windows 10 USB stick into a USB 3 port and install from there.</p>

• skane2600

04 August, 2018 - 2:16 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#299079">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>You'd be surprised how many contemporary laptops include a DVD player. My interpretation of the lack of DVDs on higher-end laptops is less about usefulness and more about weight and thinness.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    03 August, 2018 - 3:10 pm

<p>The best feature they added to Windows 8 was the ability to mount and ISO in Windows. That is how I use these. </p>

• snow.steve22

Premium Member
      03 August, 2018 - 3:23 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#298954">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>I see your point but to "nuke it from space" you need to boot from the image before the system is up. Eeek! (sound of hair pulling out…)</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        04 August, 2018 - 2:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#298957">In reply to snow.steve22:</a></em></blockquote><p>Just install it on an USB stick and have done with it, faster (especially on USB 3.0 or USB 3.1) and if it is a little over 4.4GB, stick it on an 8GB thumdrive.</p>

• johnlavey

Premium Member
          04 August, 2018 - 1:32 pm

<blockquote><a href="#299080"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a></blockquote><blockquote><br></blockquote><blockquote><em>Of course. And keep in mind that USB sticks are being manufactured with more and more space on them…..and the cost is coming down. They are reusable and very easy to use.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        04 August, 2018 - 5:46 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#298957">In reply to snow.steve22:</a></em></blockquote><p>Nope. When it asks if you want to save anything, tell it to save nothing. The entire folder tree will be archived in /Windows.old and a new system will be installed </p>

• Darekmeridian

03 August, 2018 - 6:34 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#298954">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>Not to mention Windows 10 is supposed to be a "modern OS" that comes on "modern hardware" most of which don't have DVD drives. </p><p><br></p><p>What is hilarious about this is when Windows 10 (OG) started shipping people were clamoring for a USB stick version which they actually shipped. Now are we seriously going to start making a DVD version a thing again? And a single sided DVD at that.. ?</p><p><br></p><p>Also we are talking about an Insider Build. </p><p><br></p>

• SWCetacean

Premium Member
    03 August, 2018 - 4:01 pm

<p>I think the people who made the ISO were assuming it would be used on a USB, probably because the devices they use don't have disc drives lol. And to be fair, I don't think I've burned an ISO to an actual disc in a decade. </p>

• Usman

Premium Member
    04 August, 2018 - 6:42 am

<p>Should ideally be creating a bootable USB instead of a DVD. They're reusable and yes you'll need an 8GB minimum as 4GB are below 4GB anyway.</p><p><br></p><p>IIRC the late 8.1 ISOs and some Windows 10 with Cumulative Update ISO also are bigger than 4.4GB. </p>

• johnlavey

Premium Member
    04 August, 2018 - 1:36 pm

<p>I remember buying a laptop several years ago…and ordering a DVD drive as an accessory to the laptop. Those days are gone. There's just no good reason to have a DVD drive in 2018.</p>

• skane2600

04 August, 2018 - 2:12 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#299138">In reply to johnlavey:</a></em></blockquote><p>There are a few corner cases. My experience is that If you want to install Linux Mint on a USB thumb drive you need to do it via a "live" Linux Mint DVD. If you try to do it from a "live" USB, it won't allow you to do it whether the target is the same USB or a separate one. YMMV of course.</p>

• harmjr

Premium Member
    04 August, 2018 - 2:01 pm

<p>I wonder if you could do a Blu Ray burning of the ISO? Do they even sell Blu Ray burning Equipment? I swapped along time ago to USB. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Josh

Premium Member
    05 August, 2018 - 12:56 pm

<p>Is the obvious answer not to just burn to a dual layer DVD?</p>

• kherm

Premium Member
    05 August, 2018 - 8:13 pm

<p>My reaction to this is "who still uses DVDs"</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC