Surface Pro 2017 not ready for 1903

Interesting, I have a Surface Pro 2017 and according to Microsoft, it’s not ready for 1903. I would have thought this would be an easy upgrade. Oh well, at least they are being cautious. (And I did remove the SD Card in device).

Conversation 25 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    18 June, 2019 - 10:29 am

<p>What reason did it give?</p><p>I know a lot of Intel drivers, for example, need to be updated before 1903 can be installed.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
      18 June, 2019 - 10:44 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#436000">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>From the message text:</p><p>The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time.</p><p><br></p><p>Everything is update as far as I can see. All updates, store applications installed by Windows update and store.</p>

• PeterC

18 June, 2019 - 3:08 pm

<p>My Lenovo legion pc got it weeks back, my surface pro 2017 i7 version got it 2 days ago, so you’ll get it soon. </p>

• Brad Sams

Premium Member
    18 June, 2019 - 3:46 pm
  • lvthunder

Premium Member
    18 June, 2019 - 4:08 pm

<p>How are you installing it? I used the Media Creation Tool and put it on a thumb drive and that brought up that message. When I just ran the update from the download it worked. This was on my Surface Studio and my Surface Book.</p>

• jlmerrill

18 June, 2019 - 10:45 pm

<p>Interesting…I'm getting this on my Lenovo, only one year old. </p>

• justme

Premium Member
    19 June, 2019 - 8:04 am

<p>Wow, I have 1903 on a Surface Pro 3 and the install was (mostly) painless. Can I ask how you tried to install it? When I did it, I used the Upgrade Assistant. I am like you – given your hardware, I would have thought the upgrade would be easy.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      19 June, 2019 - 8:30 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#436166">In reply to JustMe:</a></em></blockquote><p>I used the media creation tool on my home machines and just created a WSUS group for the upgrades at work. Not had any problems with any of the machines I've upgraded so far.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
      19 June, 2019 - 4:41 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#436166">In reply to JustMe:</a></em></blockquote><p>Tried to get the update from Windows Update Control Panel page. I haven't tried using the Media Creation Tool/Upgrade Assistant yet. Just surprising as it is Microsoft hardware, I am assuming that its a blocker somewhere – maybe anti-cheat technology.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
        20 June, 2019 - 3:51 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#436333">In reply to simont:</a></em></blockquote><p>There's no telling what the issue is, though I suspect you are heading down the right path in trying to figure it out. It is unfortunate, really – this is MIcrosoft's own hardware we're talking about. For me, my SP3 is my grand Windows 10 "experiment" (I use W10 regularly for work, my main home environment is W8.1 with various Linux VMs thrown in from time to time). I have had almost non-stop problems updating W10 with the Windows Update Settings panel page. On a recommendation from someone here in the Thurrott.com community, I gave the Upgrade Assistant a try and it seems to have worked for me.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    19 June, 2019 - 8:20 am

<p>Same with Surface Book 2. Unreal.</p>

• christian.hvid

20 June, 2019 - 6:52 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#436168">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>FWIW, my SB2 received the 1903 update a month ago, with no issues at all. Perhaps there's a "if (customer == 'Paul Thurrott') deferUpdateUntilAllBugsAreFixed();" condition in the updater code? :)</p>

• waethorn

19 June, 2019 - 12:05 pm

<p>Microsoft isn't ready for it on their own hardware? What a joke.</p>

• MacLiam

Premium Member
    19 June, 2019 - 1:02 pm

<p>Before the late May release I put the 1903 Release Preview on both a Pro 5 (i.e., 2017) and a Book 2 without any hitches. They work fine. Out of an excess of caution I kept my primary machine (a first gen Studio) at arm's length from the Insider Program. Today I decided that 1903 was stable and non-threatening on everything else, so I went to trigger the update on my Studio and got the "You can't have it yet" message.</p><p>I'm pretty sure that "your device isn't quite ready for it" is how you say in the Redmond dialect of Modern English, "Our company isn't in a position to offer an across-the-board guarantee that our product won't erase a bunch of your files the way our last release did, or maybe even do something worse." I guess I am glad that they are cautious, but please, Microsoft — just tell the damn truth. Here's an example I offer as a model:</p><p><em>Because of the increasing complexity of the Windows Operating System, we have chosen to engage in a staggered release schedule for the current version based on the make and model of upgradable devices. This will call to our attention incrementally and in a way we can more systematically address any evidence of small issues that did not show up in our long and detailed internal corporate and external Insider evaluation processes. A delayed OS is actually a safer OS. Thank you.</em></p>

• waethorn

20 June, 2019 - 1:33 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#436265">In reply to MacLiam:</a></em></blockquote><p>tl;dr – too many marketing buzzwords</p><p><br></p><p>They should just say "we released it before it was done".</p>

• will

Premium Member
    19 June, 2019 - 4:48 pm

<p>So it is the 1903 release, that was planned on months ago, that was released in May but for some devices it looks to be a July or Aug release? I for one am glad they are doing a minor update for 19H2, if that's the correct rumor? </p><p><br></p><p>Personally they should just have called it 19H1 as it would have been a better timeframe for release.</p>

• illuminated

19 June, 2019 - 7:18 pm

<p>One of my computers says that update is not exactly available because of some issues. When I click on that issues link I get the full list of update problems with most of them being driver-related. I find it somewhat odd. Are drivers so flaky that OS calling them slightly differently can cause problems? On the other hand why should I be surprised. Simple volume control does not seem to work properly on many PCs. Just change position on youtube video and volume goes back up. </p>

• Winner

19 June, 2019 - 7:42 pm

<p>Given their release cycles, they should start working on 2103 and perhaps it will become available in 2022.</p>

• jwpear

Premium Member
    19 June, 2019 - 8:05 pm

<p>My Surface Book 2 says it is ready for 1903. I've been manually checking for a while. This got me to go check again and, sure enough, WU said it is ready.</p><p><br></p>

• jean

20 June, 2019 - 2:47 am

<p>I take this (along with 20H1 being the Insider Fast version) for a sign that H1 releases will have new features and H2 are supposed to provide a long term stable version of said feature set</p>

• dcdevito

20 June, 2019 - 6:55 am

<p>My Surface Pro 6 doesn't even see the 1903 update.</p>

• jlmerrill

25 June, 2019 - 10:26 pm

<p>Installed 1903 today, finally!</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    02 July, 2019 - 4:32 pm

<p>I have no idea what changed but now I am being offered 1903. </p>

• Jackwagon

Premium Member
    02 July, 2019 - 6:31 pm

<p>Wouldn't it be the other way around; i.e., 1903 wasn't ready for the Surface Pro 2017?</p>

• BigM72

02 July, 2019 - 9:34 pm

<p>When I got first interested in the Surface brand, I was really hoping for an Apple-like hardware/software integration in terms of software reliability, battery life etc. You know, great drivers written for the hardware, zero crapware, first to be compatible for feature updates etc. For all of Microsoft's self-congratulation, it's one area they really haven't delivered on.</p><p><br></p><p>Aside from early adoption of Microsoft Precision trackpads, there's honestly been no benefits and looking at the long span of things (e.g. Surface Pro 4), in some cases the experience has been party with third parties like Lenovo or HP.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC