trackpad scrolling (Edge on Windows vs Safari on macOS)?

My brother just got a Macbook Air. I have a Surface Pro 7. We’re doing some comparisons between the trackpad scrolling (using Edge on the Surface and Safari on the Mac), as a Surface fan I’m sad to admit the difference is just huge. When the new chromium edge came out I did notice the trackpad scrolling wasn’t as good as the “old” Edge, but Safari on the mac is just in a different league. If you are a trackpad user, just get a Macbook. If you use a mouse though, the Pro 7 is amazing.

appvalley

Conversation 4 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    19 November, 2020 - 8:53 am

<p>They aren't really comparable. The trackpad on the SP7 is an "emergency" pointing device, it is too small and not of very good quality, due to the limitations of the form factor. The MacBook Air, on the other hand, it is the primary pointing device and a lot of care went into getting it right.</p><p>There are Windows laptops with very good trackpads as well. I haven't used a SP since the 3, but the keyboard cover and its trackpad were never good enough for serious work. Likewise, I hate the Mac keyboards, I find them unusable – little or no hub, I much prefer Lenovo ThinkPad and HP Elite/Spectre or Dell Lattitude keyboards, if I have to have a mobile keyboard, I prefer the new Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard, given a choice, or a proper keyboard with Cherry Blues.</p>

• phil_adcock

19 November, 2020 - 11:16 am

<p>I have an older Macbook Pro (Mid-2009 Model) and I prefer it over my HP. The keyboard is responsive, and the trackpad works well. I primarily use a Microsoft mouse with either device, though I have thought about switching over to all Logitech devices so that I can use my Mac and the HP and just switch devices as I need to type one to the other. </p>

• 2ilent8cho

20 November, 2020 - 3:18 am

<p>The trackpad is one area I don't think anybody has ever done a better job than Apple. They are starting to come close, but still not a 100% match for Mac trackpad offering. </p>

• yaddamaster

20 November, 2020 - 10:24 am

<p>meh, I have a 2018 Macbook Pro, two surface book (1st gen), and two surface pro's (5th and 7th gen).</p><p><br></p><p>Yes, the scrolling on the mac is better. But I find the differences marginal. I simply don't notice. Yes, the trackpad on the surface pro is small but when I switch over to the surface book – it performs functionally as well as the Mac.</p><p><br></p><p>And truth be told, I don't even use the trackpad on the mac that much since I use the magic mouse and external keyboard.</p><p><br></p><p>Ultimately, I can't imagine buying a computer platform based on the keyboard/trackpad. It used to be that I would only by Thinkpad's because of the pointing stick and the superior keyboard. But they're all similar enough now to negate any real difference.</p><p><br></p><p>Well, except for the macbook pro's keyboard. That thing is absolutely terrible.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC