British banks continue to abandon Windows 10 Mobile

Earlier this month I changed banks to TSB in the UK. For a number of years it had a reasonable Windows 10 Mobile app which, although it was a wrapper for the website, actually worked pretty well when I tested it a few months ago.

The day I changed I discovered that TSB had dropped Windows 10 Mobile that very week and only Android/IOS was left.

Now Barclays, one of Britain’s largest banks, is dropping Windows 10 Mobile support. 

Natwest and Royal Bank of Scotland go UWP on Windows as TSB and Lloyds drop support

Pretty much the only banks left are RBS / NatWest. To be fair they seem to be actively supporting Windows 10 Mobile. 

This was a marketin the UK that had 10% sales until the Nadella “memo of Windowsphone death”. Now it’s heading for the fractions of 1% like the US market. Completely unsustainable.

Join the discussion!

BECOME A THURROTT MEMBER:

Don't have a login but want to join the conversation? Become a Thurrott Premium or Basic User to participate

Register
4 Comments
Sort by Votes | Date
  1. Paul Thurrott
    2 | Reply
    Paul Thurrott Alpha Member #1 - 1 week ago

We can't really be surprised by this, of course. This will only continue.

2. 2 | Reply
    anchovylover Alpha Member #875 - 1 week ago

It's only natural for companies/developers to turn away from WMobile. MS themselves have it on life support as well as pretty much abandoning WP8.1 users. MS show little confidence in WMobile so why would anyone else!

3. 0 | Reply
    Goff256 - 1 day ago

I can only imagine Paul reading topics like these with a huge grin on his face.

4. 0 | Reply
    lordbaal1 - 1 week ago

And those banks website will still work on Windows phone.