Office 365 reduced Ribbon

I got an update at home this morning for Office 365 Home with the new reduced Ribbon. It can be turned on using a slider top right of the window saying “preview new features” or something similar (I use the German version, so that is just an approximation.

There was also an update for Office 365 Pro Plus on my work machine, but that didn’t get the preview.

Conversation 14 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    13 December, 2018 - 8:46 am

<p>Nice. I have been waiting for this.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    13 December, 2018 - 10:15 am

<p>I got this the other day. Kind of on the fence about it.</p><p><br></p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    13 December, 2018 - 10:30 am

<p>It's rolling out to the business customers. Just not all at once for some reason.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
      13 December, 2018 - 11:44 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#381491">In reply to lvthunder:</a></em></blockquote><p>I have it and am not a business customer.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
        13 December, 2018 - 1:13 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#381510">In reply to lwetzel:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yeah I know. I was addressing the business side that wright_is asked about.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      16 December, 2018 - 8:20 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#381491">In reply to lvthunder:</a></em></blockquote><p>Ah.</p>

• AnOldAmigaUser

Premium Member
    13 December, 2018 - 10:30 am

<p>With Office 365 Home, I only see it in Outlook, an icon that looks vaguely like a toaster with the words "Coming Soon" and a toggle. Toggling it on and restarting brings up a "Welcome to Outlook, Simplified" message.</p><p>The other applications do not show anything, but the opening screen is new in a minimalist sort of way.</p>

• FalseAgent

16 December, 2018 - 10:46 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#381492">In reply to AnOldAmigaUser:</a></em></blockquote><p>can you share some screenies?</p>

• Dan1986ist

Premium Member
    13 December, 2018 - 11:13 am

<p>Anyone with Version 1901 of the Office apps in Office Insider Fast (Microsoft Store version) have the simplified ribbon? Like AnOldAmigaUser, I've only seen it in Outlook and not any of the other desktop Office apps. </p>

• TigerTom

16 December, 2018 - 5:22 am

<p>I do like that it's switchable, can go back and forth between the 2 sizes depending on what im doing at the time and enjoy the extra screen height. </p>

• SherlockHolmes

Premium Member
    16 December, 2018 - 7:34 am

<p>So far I only see it in Outlook 2019. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      17 December, 2018 - 3:07 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#382393">In reply to SherlockHolmes:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, it seems to be limited to Outlook at the moment. I had time over the weekend to look at the other apps – Outlook is open permanently, the others probably only on the weekend as I only get about an hour of use per day on the home machine during the week.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    16 December, 2018 - 8:20 am

<p>I keep checking and … nothing. :(</p>

• jblank46

16 December, 2018 - 8:53 am

<p>They're doing this really slowly. I got it on Outlook at work first maybe a month ago and just noticed it on Word today. We only allow a few of us in our tenant to try out the new features because our users are experiencing cloud feature overload right now. I like it and think users will as well. Even with the simplified ribbon, Outlook still needs a little more polish. It still feels ancient when you're using it.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC