Office Desktop Apps in Windows 10 store?

Will existing Office 365 Home, and Personal subscribers be able to get the desktop bridged Office apps for free through the store like the Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile? Note the emphasis on existing.

Conversation 6 comments

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    02 May, 2017 - 12:21 pm

<p>Doubt they will be free if they are full up versions.</p>

• Simard57

02 May, 2017 - 3:35 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#109371">In reply to lwetzel:</a></em></blockquote><p>Office 365 subscribers can get the full up applications for free – so do not see why not through the store. Might even expect to see the office.com site download bringing up the store to get them.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
        02 May, 2017 - 4:02 pm

<blockquote><a href="#110051"><em>In reply to Simard57:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yeah&nbsp;I miss read what was being asked. Duh.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    02 May, 2017 - 2:03 pm

<p>I don't see why not. You will just have to login to the app once it's installed.</p>

• SvenJ

02 May, 2017 - 8:56 pm

<p>In this vein, go look for Word Mobile, Excel Mobile etc. in the store. They seem to be gone. I Use the Mobile versions on my Surface 3 and 8" tablets (ASUS Note 8, Dell Venue) because they are just fine for that use. I have an O365 Home subscription, and those mobile versions don't take up an Office 2016 license. I mailed myself a store link from my Lumia 950, and on my Surface 3 it goes to the apps but they have Mobile Only badges, though they still show mobile, PC, and holographic. This is a bit concerning. While it is interesting to have Centennial produced versions of the full Office apps, if they are wrapped desktop apps, they are no more touch friendly than Office was on XP Tablet Edition. The Mobile versions are great on smaller, and primarily touch devices. Hope they aren't being deprecated, or relegated to just mobile/phone, which essentially means iOS and Android. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    03 May, 2017 - 12:35 pm

<p>My bet is that anybody can install from the store. Without O365, they only operate in Viewer mode, same as if you sign out of an installed O365 copy.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC