What is this "New Outlook for Mac" and it is only for Office365?

Just installed the latest batch of updates for my Mac office. When starting Outlook again, I was greeted with an invitation to try the new Outlook – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/enhanced-performance-designed-for-simplicity-the-new-outlook-for/ba-p/1675505

When accepting it warned me about my Amazon WorkMail account not being supported (even though it is Exchange compatible)!!

Is the new Outlook only for Office 365 users?

Conversation 6 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    15 October, 2020 - 9:51 am

<p>No, but the current version doesn't support email standards, like IMAP… So any accounts that currently run over IMAP won't work with the new version. Pure Exchange and Exchange Online should work.</p>

• bob_shutts

15 October, 2020 - 10:13 am

<blockquote><a href="#586506"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a><em> My IMAP account is running fine on the new Outlook for Mac here in the U.S. Maybe the EU version is different for some reason?</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        15 October, 2020 - 10:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#586509">In reply to Bob_Shutts:</a></em></blockquote><p>Doubtful. But IT Pro have been moaning about it all day on Twitter and panned it in their review.</p>

• bob_shutts

15 October, 2020 - 12:52 pm

<blockquote><a href="#586519"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a><em> Outlook required me to create an app-specific password on my Apple security page before I could use it. It would be an easy mistake to keep trying to use your email password when setting up the account. Would this only apply if you are using an Apple domain?</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
            16 October, 2020 - 4:57 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#586585">In reply to Bob_Shutts:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, only Apple – or Google or Microsoft. But if you are using an IMAP provider or your own IMAP server, it will connect directly with the IMAP service using the services password.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC