Windows XP Heritage still visible in Office 2016

I like how in Office 2016 if you over over expand menu arrows in the ribbon. You can still see screenshots of the dialog screen formatted in Windows XP default theme.

Windows XP still around.

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    06 July, 2018 - 7:56 am

<p>Yep. Great example of Microsoft's inability to just "finish the job".</p>

• kherm

Premium Member
    06 July, 2018 - 1:21 pm

<p>Oh my God that is priceless. Typical Microsoft.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    06 July, 2018 - 4:20 pm

<p>You believe MSFT would pay any employee to recreate thumbnails of dialogs using current themes? Next you'll be asking them to correct their documentation so that it actually reflects how their software actually works, e.g., try using Excel's RANK function with an array rather than a range as 2nd argument. That particular documentation glitch is now well into its third decade without correction.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      07 July, 2018 - 12:27 am

<blockquote><a href="#289069"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>Pardon my French but…</p><p><br></p><p>FUCKING OUCH! 30 years!?</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        17 July, 2018 - 1:01 am

<p><a href="#289184"><em>In reply to jimchamplin:</em></a></p><p>Pedantic: <em>into its third decade</em> means between 20 and 30 years old, though in the case of Excel's RANK function, it's getting close to 30 years (IIRC that it was introduced in Excel 4).</p><p>Useful to compare Excel 97 Help against current online documentation. MSFT changed nearly nothing, meaning MSFT corrected nearly nothing. I doubt MSFT has spent more than US$10,000 on Office documentation per version since the early 1990s.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          17 July, 2018 - 8:42 am

<blockquote><a href="#292828"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>I wasn’t commenting on the accuracy of your claim. You don’t need to quote an exact date for your point to be valid ?</p>

• dmos01

Premium Member
    17 July, 2018 - 12:21 am

<p>I know this is now an old thread, but have you seen the Insert Symbol dialog (in Word) recently?</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC