1803 update: 4th time’s a charm

Oopsie. Something happened to my original post, it disappeared. I wrote in detail how my main system last night went all BSoD on me as I tried to install 1803 via Windows Update. After the third try (unplugging various peripherals and updating my Nivida driver, etc.), I finally decided to use the Media Creation Tool, and then it worked fine.

Some alternative combination of 0’s and 1’s? lol

Conversation 21 comments

• ErichK

Premium Member
    02 May, 2018 - 12:11 pm

<p>My thread keeps disappearing…</p><p><br></p><p>Just wanted to mention how last night my main system did a BSoD three times before I finally was able to successfully install 1803 via the Media Creation Tool. For some reason that worked, but Windows Update didn't.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    02 May, 2018 - 12:16 pm

<p>I think we're having site issues, sorry. Working on that…</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
      02 May, 2018 - 12:38 pm

<blockquote><a href="#268725"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Thanks Paul, I suspected something might be wonky at the moment.</p>

• Tony Barrett

03 May, 2018 - 6:43 am

<p>Now just imagine you're a very average user with no technical skill at all. You try to install the latest update – because MS say you have to – and you get a BSOD. That's one borked machine that may cost money to repair. You had enough skill to fix it, the vast majority won't, and this is a big, big problem with Windows 10. Most big updates have a much higher level of associated risk than previous versions, and I've seen way more failures with updates in 10 than I ever did with any previous versions of Windows, and we're not just talking system update failure's but a large list of post update problems should the update actually 'install' correctly. The Win10 update process is still very broken.</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
      03 May, 2018 - 11:27 am

<blockquote><a href="#269237"><em>In reply to ghostrider:</em></a></blockquote><p>It might even be worse than that. Sometimes when I even ask people what version of Windows they have, I get blank stares.</p>

• goodbar

Premium Member
    03 May, 2018 - 11:05 am

<p>My Windows 10 1803 update has tried to install twice, once it froze for a good 8 hours at 30% progress, and the second time it hung at 2% progress for a good 10 hours. Maybe I'll try the media creation tool route and see if that helps.</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
      03 May, 2018 - 11:30 am

<blockquote><a href="#269302"><em>In reply to goodbar:</em></a></blockquote><p>Holy cow. It goes without saying that waiting 8 – 10 hours is unacceptable. Hopefully you have better luck with the Media Creation Tool.</p>

• goodbar

Premium Member
        14 May, 2018 - 3:07 pm

<blockquote><a href="#269365"><em>In reply to ErichK:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>No luck with Media Creation Tool, but I did just realize I have Intel SSD's, so perhaps that's my issue. I'll just plug along with 1709 for now…</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
    03 May, 2018 - 11:27 am

<p>Actually, up until now, I've had no problems with Windows 10 updates, but now that I got this BSoD I'm a little nervous.</p>

• epguy40

11 May, 2018 - 9:06 pm

<p>well EricHK and Paul, Microsoft has recently acknowledged some problems with the April 2018 update which are mentioned in MS support KB article 4103721</p><p>support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103721/windows-10-update-kb4103721</p><p><br></p><p>Users with certain Intel SSDs or Toshiba SSDs should revert to the 1709 release or earlier until Microsoft issues a newer CU for the 1803 release</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      14 May, 2018 - 8:08 am

<blockquote><a href="#274676"><em>In reply to epguy40:</em></a></blockquote><p>Weird, Microsoft assured me that this release was as reliable/stable as the previous few releases. :)</p>

• Tony Barrett

14 May, 2018 - 9:56 am

<blockquote><a href="#275249"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Microsoft are very good at assuring people, but the quality of their actual deliverables is generally pretty poor.</p>

• ErichK

Premium Member
      14 May, 2018 - 12:56 pm

<blockquote><a href="#274676"><em>In reply to epguy40:</em></a></blockquote><p>Well the update went fine on my Asus 2-in-1, and I've yet to experience any issues there, but on my main desktop machine where I got the blue screens during the install, I'm now experiencing some blank icons on the Start screen and I can no longer print. Blank icons are not a showstopper, but I'm not happy about the printing, obviously.</p><p><br></p><p>Had to print out some documents this past weekend, and it was my Mac mini to the rescue. Works perfectly there.</p>

• DavidSlade

Premium Member
    25 May, 2018 - 6:58 am

<p>To me this questions the value of the Insider program. Didn't any Insider(including me) pickup theses issues? I think Paul did.</p>

• Angusmatheson

25 May, 2018 - 11:33 am

<blockquote><a href="#278698"><em>In reply to DavidSlade:</em></a></blockquote><p>The value is finding problems early and addressing them. In this case I think they saw problems in the insider program and choose to ignore them – I think because because of the name 1803 – meant that they needed to get it out by the end of March and I think they wanted to get it out before Build so they didn’t have to talk about it and could talk about what Microsoft leadership saw as more important. I do think the success with the last few releases made them feel nothing could go wrong. What could go wrong?</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
        25 May, 2018 - 3:01 pm

<blockquote><a href="#278732"><em>In reply to Angusmatheson:</em></a></blockquote><p>I feel like this speaks to a failure of the process. All those testers, all that data, and we still have these issues.</p>

• Brian X

25 May, 2018 - 10:10 am

<p><span style="color: rgb(42, 46, 46);">Upgrading from Insider build 17672 to 17677 resulted in 2 green screens reporting memory management issues. I've rarely managed to get my system to upgrade automatically despite following all the various advice on forums in every combination imaginable! Usually I give up and install an ISO from MS but strangely when I used a new totally blank SSD and install 17025 and them immediately allowed it to upgrade to 1803 and then 17672 it all worked. Is this a clue? Is it something on the SSD (A Crucial) that once the UEFI &amp; Recovery partitions are fixed, updates fail? Is the UEFI partition getting full? Is it that sort of "memory" at issue?</span></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      16 June, 2018 - 11:37 am

<blockquote><a href="#278721"><em>In reply to Brian_X:</em></a></blockquote><p>There shouldn’t be anything in that partition aside from files required to boot You system. If Windows isn’t automouting it and it’s showing up in Explorer, visit Disk Manager to disable its drive letter. You don’t want anything to have access to that partition.</p><p><br></p><p>But as to your question, that isn’t memory anyway, it’s storage. Memory management doesn’t deal with disks, but RAM.</p>

• Lauren Glenn

29 May, 2018 - 10:57 am

<p>I assume this is why I never see this problem. I always update my Windows installs using the Media Creation Tool. Windows Update either downloads the whole thing and then just fails… then keeps trying to redownload the entire thing until I just download the ISO and install setup.exe from there while in Windows. It seems to cause a lot less problems, at least for me.</p>

• epguy40

15 June, 2018 - 11:08 pm

<p>new problem with the 1803 update whether KB4103721 or even the new KB4284835 patch is installed:</p><p><br></p><p>"Some users running Windows 10 version 1803 may receive an error "An invalid argument was supplied" when accessing files or running programs from a shared folder using the SMBv1 protocol."</p><p><br></p><p>anyways who uses older devices that depend on that ancient SMBv1 protocol.</p>

• lordbaal1

16 June, 2018 - 10:31 am

<p>The preview is a beta. There are thousand of different PC configurations. MS cannot test out all of them. You have different people using different software, different hardware, different peripherals.</p><p>It is impossible for MS to test all of them.</p><p>That's why they beta test them.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC