Anyone seeing very high memory utilization with Win 10 CU?

I’ve upgrated two of my home PCs (a laptop with 4 GB RAM and gaming desktop with 8 GB RAM) to the Creator’s Update. Both are using around 70 – 80% of RAM just when the system is idling. This seems awfully high.

I am trying to run Docker on the gaming desktop but it won’t start for me as it says I need to free up some memory…thing is, there’s not that many more apps I can quit! I literally just have a browser and performance monitor open, nothing too crazy in the system tray; this shouldn’t be an issue…

Is anyone else seeing this with Win10 CU? Or is something borked with my PC?

FWIW – in performance monitor/task manager, my instance of Crashplan has been the top-listed memory hog (~500 MB – 1.5GB), which seems oddly high. Killing that has brought memory consumption down to ~68 – 70%. Possible that Crashplan home backup is not playing nice with the CU?

Conversation 5 comments

• MacNala

11 April, 2017 - 11:52 am

<p>I have two virtual machines running CU one with 4GB and another with 16GB. I haven't noticed any excessive utilisation. I did get some non responsive system apps so I was looking for high cpu utilization but did not see any high memory usage.</p><p>I have restarted the smaller VM and it seems to be responding OK now. When I read your post I checked again committed memory just around 2GB when idle. Sorry if that doesn't help.</p>

• Darekmeridian

11 April, 2017 - 1:08 pm

<p>I had this problem when I did a clean install a few days ago. I was having performance problems and full CPU load issues but it calmed down after a day or two, I assume that it was just normal system indexing but it stopped after a while. I also notice that accessing the old Control Panel, never starts on the first run. But it starts the second time you click on it. Windows is a strange beast.</p><p><br></p>

• Patrick3D

11 April, 2017 - 4:54 pm

<p>Looking in the Resource Monitor tool it appears Windows is setting aside a large chunk of memory as a cache to improve performance. On my 4GB laptop it set aside 1.2GB for the cache.</p><p>To find the info: type "resource monitor" into the Cortana search box, should be the 1st result, open it, click on the Memory tab.</p><p>One would presume this is managed dynamically by Windows and the space is freed up as needed by other apps.</p>

• Daninbusiness

Premium Member
    13 April, 2017 - 8:57 am

<p>Thanks, all! I'll give it a bit more time and investigate further. Thanks to your comments, a few other explanations coming to mind: </p><p><br></p><ol><li>System indexing might indeed still be going on and taking a while since one of the HDDs on my system is 2TB and ~82% full.</li><li>I've learned that the Crashplan client's RAM usage goes up a bit once one's backup size exceeds 1 TB. Could definitely be the case here. </li></ol><p><br></p><p>My laptop's RAM usage has calmed down quite a bit, per performance monitor: </p><p>1.8 GB in use, 1GB standby, 1 GB free.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• Daninbusiness

Premium Member
    01 May, 2017 - 9:46 am

<p>Figured it out! </p><p><br></p><p>Hyper-V is the culprit! I had just started playing with/testing it prior to doing the creator's update. Turns out that the settings I had in Hyper-V manager kept (helpfully?) restarting the VMs on reboot, which each consumed a bit over 2GB of RAM each. </p><p><br></p><p>Task Manager and performance monitor in Windows 10 doesn't directly represent Hyper-V usage, this is only visible via Hyper-V manager.</p><p><br></p><p>Hyper-V newb mistake. :)</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC