Blocking Windows 7, 8.1 updates for Kaby Lake, Ryzen chips appears imminent

Check out this article on Ars Technica. Microsoft appears to be dropping down the hammer.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-is-getting-ready-to-block-windows-updates-for-old-windows-on-new-chips/

Conversation 9 comments

• gamersglory

17 March, 2017 - 10:12 pm

<p> It makes sense because Microsoft does not support win 7 anymore and would not be surprised if they pull the support plug on 8.1 Early since they offered a "free" upgrade to win 10</p>

• anchovylover

18 March, 2017 - 2:42 am

<p>Some of these devices losing updates aren't that old. I understand the reasoning behind the move however MS should consider a goodwill gesture for these users. Offer them a free upgrade to W10, it would deflect some criticism and it would be a good look for MS.</p>

• Polycrastinator

18 March, 2017 - 4:33 pm

<blockquote><a href="#91413"><em>In reply to anchovylover:</em></a></blockquote><p>Well, as both Kaby Lake and Ryzen are only a few months old, Microsoft hasn't been selling Windows 7 or 8 licenses for those systems, anyway. Anyone buying a system with that OS installed on it at this point should be a business who ought to be able to weigh those requirements themselves, average users shouldn't be buying systems with downgrades on them.</p>

• rameshthanikodi

18 March, 2017 - 8:50 am

<p>Microsoft announced this a long time ago, now they're following through with it, so i'm not surprised. But I personally think this is BS, every Windows 7 copy out there should be updated with the latest security patches regardless of processor. </p>

• wshwe

18 March, 2017 - 11:37 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#91442">In reply to rameshthanikodi:</a></em></blockquote><p>MS is still releasing security fixes for Windows 7. They just will stop supporting the new features in Kaby Lake and Ryzen. Since this doesn't effect me I don't care either way.</p>

• Polycrastinator

18 March, 2017 - 4:34 pm

<p>Interesting. I'll believe it when I see it, but the KB is certainly suggestive that this is going to happen.</p>

• Tony Barrett

19 March, 2017 - 6:01 am

<p>Microsoft have no ethics or morals anymore. Despsite customers paying for and running a (non 10) version of Windows that's 'supported' for years to come out of their own choice, this is just another attempt by MS to force them to 'upgrade'. With the 'free' upgrade long gone though, those buying new gen PC's, but wanting to run 7 or 8.1 are stuck. There is zero technical reason for this, but MS have strong-armed suppliers and partners to go along with it.</p><p><br></p><p>If Windows 10 was actually designed for the user and not for Microsoft's lofty end goals I don't think it would be an issue, but we're all slowly learning the reality of what Windows 10 is *really* about.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      19 March, 2017 - 11:35 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#91667">In reply to Tony Barrett:</a></em></blockquote><p>Actually it's about the fact that Skylake was an unmitigated disaster and Microsoft is trying to avoid more of the crap we saw with the early Surface Books and Pros 4. </p><p>It isn't some ethics or moral problem. It's just the reality that Intel needs to get its house in order and supporting older versions really is a PITA. </p><p>If you want a box with a new chip and don't like all the "new stuff" in 10, turn it off. It's just a bloody version of Windows. It's not like someone told you to Hackintosh your box. </p>

• nightmare99

19 March, 2017 - 6:34 am

<p>No real issue or surprise here, its not a supported configuration full stop.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC