Blue screen from KB5000802

I found mention of this out of the web, thought I’d post it here. Microsoft Security update from this month KB5000802 is causing blue screen crashing when opening documents using certain print drivers. The KB has to do with the retirement of Flash from what I can gather. In our company we have Brother, Xerox, and Zebra Label printers. Systems are crashing opening up Bartender (label program) to simple excel and word documents. The only fix I know of is to uninstall the update. I’m hoping a hotfix will be pushed out asap.

Conversation 13 comments

• rentageek

12 March, 2021 - 8:21 am

<p>I do not get BSOD, but Brother MFC printers now have two blank bars across photo printer. Document printing is not affected. Removing the KB5000802 update corrects the problem.</p>

• Belralph

12 March, 2021 - 12:02 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#617746">In reply to rentageek:</a></em></blockquote><p>Interesting, we also had the white band printing to brother printers. I chalked that up to the usual PDF printing demons. Good to know. </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    12 March, 2021 - 8:55 am

<p>This is oddly reminiscent of the Kindle crashing bug caused by whatever version of Windows 10 that was.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    12 March, 2021 - 9:05 am
    • Belralph

12 March, 2021 - 12:06 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#617759">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>Thanks, The search bar here must only look at the Subject line. I searched before I posted and got nothing. I just searched for "kb5000802" again and it still only found my post. </p>

• mrcashins

Premium Member
    12 March, 2021 - 11:38 am

<p>I get the Blue Screen instantly every time I print. Had to uninstall the update. Then printing worked fine!! Microsoft!! How does this happen!!???!!</p>

• waethorn

14 March, 2021 - 3:16 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#617782">In reply to MRCashins:</a></em></blockquote><p>It was a known issue, but they deployed it anyway.</p>

• Belralph

12 March, 2021 - 12:11 pm

<p>I don't necessarily blame Microsoft completely on this (yet). It's just a gut feeling but I wonder if this is happening because the printer OEMs have procrastinated revising their drivers. I'm not knowledgeable on whether Flash might have common components related to printing. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    12 March, 2021 - 12:13 pm

<p>As well as removing the patch, you can switch to an XPS driver. That certainly works with Kyocera printers. </p>

• waethorn

14 March, 2021 - 3:16 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#617792">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>You can use the “V4” drivers.</p>

• waethorn

15 March, 2021 - 3:16 pm

<p>Dymo printers are also on the list of incompatibilities. On their site, they tell you to remove the Windows update, which also contains security patches. Microsoft had this listed as a known issue and pushed it out anyway. It's crap. It's the second time they broke printer drivers recently. Once before around build 2004 when it broke HP printer drivers when they couldn't print from Store Apps, and now a major kernel crash.</p><p><br></p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    16 March, 2021 - 11:15 am

<p>I just realized the last couple of nights I printed some documents, and I think prior to that, a few days ago, I installed this update. However, I haven't had any issues (I have a Brother b/w laser printer). I remember reading about this and being worried that the update would cause problems, but I totally forgot about it. Either I'm lucky or it doesn't affect Brother devices.</p><p><br></p><p>EDIT: Typo.</p>

• epguy40

18 March, 2021 - 4:38 am

<p>I do NOT seem to experience the blue screen crash problem after manually installing the KB5000802 update from the MS Update Catalog site running Win10 v2004.</p><p><br></p><p>And I use either Epson or Hewlett-Packard (HP) brand printers and their drivers, which seem to print fine with KB5000802 installed (or even with the newly out-of-band KB5001567 update installed).</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC