Do you recommend Windows 11 to your friends ?

While I really like Windows 11, I currently cannot recommend it to my friends, because;

• some of them run AMD CPU’s
  • most of them use Start menu and/or Task bar functionality that is gone in Win 11
  • while I have not yet experienced any bugs and am ok to risking them, I’d hate for them to suffer early day bugs

I’d like to know the views of my fellow “Thurrottians” on this.

Do you recommend Windows 11 to your friends and why / why not ?

Conversation 16 comments

• navarac

18 October, 2021 - 10:17 am

<p>I never would recommend it straight away to a "normal users", but tell them give it at least 6 months. I would certainly dissuade anyone from buying a new PC just for W11. </p><p><br></p><p>I am definitely biased, though, as W11 is the first that I won’t be installing straight away, if ever. Mainly because of the Start Menu and Task bar [non]functionality. Shame really..</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      19 October, 2021 - 12:43 am

<p>Indeed. Any x<strong>.0</strong> version of anything from MSFT is <strong><em>only</em></strong> suitable for MSFT fans, not the general Windows PC-using public. SP1 is always better for them.</p>

• ringofvoid

18 October, 2021 - 10:56 am

<p>I’ve always moved to the latest MS OS on day one (except Millennium) so it’s a first for me to hold back. Windows 11 just seems rushed to me. The AMD problems with the scheduler indicates a lack of testing prior to release. Features advertised during the reveal such as subsystem for Android are not included yet. Using it at this point is basically beta testing and not for "normal users"</p>

• harmjr

Premium Member
    18 October, 2021 - 12:01 pm

<p><strong>Not right now. </strong>Maybe next Fall. Once they fix it. I would say right now its still in Beta and being worked on as it has some major design issues with the new start menu look and feel. </p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
    18 October, 2021 - 1:20 pm

<p>Of course. I can’t imagine going back to Windows 10. And Windows 11 is just so far ahead of any other OS. It is easier for a noob to start with, the tops for gaming, best for creatives, and not locked down. With the arrival of Android apps coming how could you recommend any other OS in good conscience?</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      19 October, 2021 - 12:47 am

<p>If the ability to run Android apps is a plus, Chrome OS on some machines <strong><em>already can do so</em></strong>.</p><p><br></p><p>Serious question: what % of Windows users do you believe would try to use Android apps on Windows PCs? Could we agree that few iPhone users would be likely to do so?</p>

• curtisspendlove

20 October, 2021 - 1:59 am

<p><em style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Serious question: what % of Windows users do you believe would try to use Android apps on Windows PCs? Could we agree that few iPhone users would be likely to do so?</em></p><p><br></p><p>In my experience, Android apps on large screens are terrible. </p><p><br></p><p>Tp be fair, iOS apps on a Mac are pretty rough too. But Apple has stressed making apps with variable sizes for years now. So this helps most iOS apps adapt a bit better. </p><p><br></p><p>I think Android apps make sense on Windows (might be nice to have that elusive banking app, etc). </p><p><br></p><p>But the real reason they are there is because Microsoft knows very, very little new development is happening for Windows. </p>

• polloloco51

18 October, 2021 - 1:28 pm

<p>I would say, wait a year or two before upgrading!</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>The difference between Windows 11 and 10 is so insignificant and small. Not to mention the kinks to be worked out still. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>It is really not worth upgrading right away! Other than just to have the new, refreshed UI! </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• curtisspendlove

18 October, 2021 - 2:21 pm

<p>Three weeks ago, I would have put it on every machine I support for friends and family. </p><p><br></p><p>After a hard reboot loop during an update two days after release, I’m solidly on the “no” side. </p><p><br></p><p>When my main PC can upgrade properly then I’ll reevaluate. (BTW my main rig was in the Insider program since the day they launched 11 into it…so it runs the OS fine. Not sure what caused this upgrade issue but I had to blow away 11 and toss 10 back on it. Whenever I try to upgrade now it enters a reboot loop and eventually “restores” back to 10.)</p>

• waethorn

18 October, 2021 - 2:50 pm

<p>If they issue more updates, sure. If you’re reformatting a computer for someone, you could do it now rather than later. If they’re using an older CPU or don’t have TPM 2.0, you can bypass the checks in Windows Setup and give their computer a longer lifespan rather than being thrown in the bin. I’ve already tested it on a 1st-gen Core i5 HP laptop with 4GB of RAM and an SSD. It works about as good as Windows 10 did, but the latest builds of Windows 10 were unstable. Windows 11 runs cooler on that laptop than the last version that worked reliably, which was 20H1, yet it still loads up quickly, applications launch as fast as they should, and YouTube video plays fine in HD. The new scheduler seems to throttle the processor more aggressively, but it still clocks up in speed when it needs to. I had the same result with a 5th-gen Core i5 laptop too. There are no indications that Windows itself is incompatible with any of the restrictions Microsoft says it has – there are just checks during the Windows Setup phase that you can bypass. The core functionality that is similar to Windows 10 has the same requirements. You won’t see the TPM-enhanced security, and you won’t be protected against Spectre/Meltdown variants, but you aren’t any better off in Windows 10 either. The difference is, if you stay on Windows 10, Microsoft would have you throw your computer away sooner than you would need to.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    18 October, 2021 - 5:24 pm

<p>Depends on who the person is. I would recommend it to those who feel Windows 10 is too complicated and want a simpler experience. I wouldn’t if the person was a power user with a fixed workflow on an AMD PC.</p>

• asdfasedasdfasdf

18 October, 2021 - 7:07 pm

<p>I created a separate partition and did a clean install on my one supported PC, but I’m not planning to upgrade the Win10 installation until probably after the first feature next fall, maybe even later. I have been monitoring a few forums, and it seems like it was probably released too soon. </p><p><br></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    19 October, 2021 - 12:42 am

<p>Perhaps the question should be <strong><em>how many friends would one retain after telling them to use Windows 11</em></strong>?</p><p><br></p><p>Anyone who might benefit from the seriously dumbed down Windows 11 desktop UI might benefit even more from Chrome OS. I wait to see comparisons of Windows 11 avoiding exploits and other nastiness which afflict Windows 10; IOW, I’m not yet convinced Windows 11 provides demonstrably more real world security than Windows 10.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    19 October, 2021 - 10:44 am

<p>Haven’t had a problem with the OS since I started with it on Insiders preview. So Yes I would.</p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
    19 October, 2021 - 11:27 am

<p>No. Not until they allow users to easily change default apps.</p><p>It is visually more interesting, but there is nothing compelling about it for the average user. In a year, it may be.</p>

• christianwilson

Premium Member
    19 October, 2021 - 11:49 am

<p>If someone was buying a new computer, I would tell them to buy one with Windows 11. If someone is looking to upgrade from Windows 10, I’d recommend they wait a while. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC