Features you want to see in Windows 10?

What features and other things, do you want to see Microsoft implement in Windows 10?

I would like to see a tabbed file explorer (big league), a copy and paste bin as well as universal copy and paste.

A complete redesign of the file explorer, and move away from Windows 8/7 style. 

More customization, allow users to change the theme in Windows 10. From a Windows 98 theme to even a Linux inspired one. 

More sophisticated, Windows 10 exclusive apps, like a photos app with better editing tools, and a revamped and more robust Windows Movie Maker. 

Much more. 

Conversation 11 comments

Premium Member
    06 February, 2017 - 12:10 pm

<p>Have to admit, a tabbed file explorer was something I always thought I wanted.&nbsp; But back when I used to have a Mac mini with OS X, I don’t think I ever used that feature.&nbsp; I could always try again, though, if it was introduced in Windows.</p>

Premium Member
      06 February, 2017 - 3:20 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#41326">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/ErichK">ErichK</a><a href="#41326">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Yeah, I had to try to make myself use it in the Finder. I always found it useless since I used the column view mostly. Even when I didn’t, it made more sense to just use Copy/Paste. </p>

Premium Member
        06 February, 2017 - 4:49 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#41359">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/jimchamplin">jimchamplin</a><a href="#41359">:</a></em></blockquote>
        <p>Yep.&nbsp; Love me some File &gt; Open new window in File Explorer.&nbsp; ;-)</p>

06 February, 2017 - 12:16 pm

<p>Biased towards the IT side but please give us some kind of group admin control over the start tiles. Right-Clicking and "remove" 25 times is not a solution. I know this can be done to a limited extent with PowerShell and Group Policy but not very well for those of us on older domains.&nbsp;</p>

Premium Member
    06 February, 2017 - 3:29 pm

<p>I’d love to see Microsoft work on a suite of leading-quality UWP apps, including replacing File Explorer. As it is, it’s a PITA to use on a tablet, and I’d rather use a UWP app for everything possible at this point. It’s not yet entirely plausible but things are getting better.</p>
    <p>I completely disagree with theming. I’m really glad that&nbsp;the industry has&nbsp;recovered from that insanity. The only theme-related thing I wish for is that Microsoft would use all the work they did to implement theming in Windows to replace the still-vaguely Vista styled appearance used&nbsp;by the legacy parts of the system with something that at least resembles&nbsp;the MDL2 style, and correctly switches between light and dark modes. That’s actually a big thing for me. The ugly and dated theme used for legacy software needs to go.</p>
    <p>I also want a blur effect on the Taskbar. I still don’t get why it lacks blur.</p>

Premium Member
    06 February, 2017 - 4:24 pm

<p>I’ve been using 3rd party 2-pane file managers for years rather than Windows/File Explorer. Who expects Notepad to be a programmer’s editor? Who should expect Explorer to more than a very basic file manager?</p>
    <p>There is a UWP Explorer in the Insider builds. It has even less functionality than the desktop explorer.</p>
    <p>As for theming, Windows XP had lots of theme setting. MSFT has been removing some theme settings from Vista on, so it’s unlikely MSFT will reverse course and add some back. That said, 3rd party utilities to the rescue again, in this case StarDock’s Windows Blinds.</p>
    <p>I don’t mean to say your wishlist is invalid. Rather, that it’d require MSFT to reverse a trajectory they’ve been on since Vista to realize them.</p>
    <p>I think MSFT finally needs to get around to UWP replacements for ALL desktop applets. I don’t actually want that, but I believe MSFT needs to show a sense of urgency for UWP&nbsp;for its own bundled applets. Otherwise, MSFT is leading by example: no need for UWP on PCs.</p>

06 February, 2017 - 4:53 pm

<p>In order of importance:</p>
    <p>1. the ability to&nbsp;decide yourself about OS upgrades (not security updates), at least on the pro version</p>
    <p>2. the ability to turn off Cortana</p>
    <p>3.&nbsp;all apps like Edge, Mail etc.&nbsp;moving to the Store, so I can update them independent form the OS</p>
    <p>4. File Explorer as a modern UI, preferably also decoupled and independently updatable</p>
    <p>5. Settings completely replacing the Control Panel</p>
    <p>6. Windows on ARM, but this one is almost certain.</p>

06 February, 2017 - 5:06 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#41376">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/hard_candy">hard_candy</a><a href="#41376">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>You can turn off Cortana can’t you, or do you mean disable search completely.</p>

Premium Member
      06 February, 2017 - 11:29 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#41376">In reply to </a><a href="../../../../users/hard_candy">hard_candy</a><a href="#41376">:</a></em></blockquote>
      <p>Numbers 3, 4, and 5 yes!!!</p>

07 February, 2017 - 1:57 am

<p>I want better performance.</p>
    <p>It feels like the performance of the OS overall has gone downhill after the initial Windows 10 build 10240, and then 1511, and then 1607. In particular, waking from sleep has become slower after they bolted on all the additional features unto the lockscreen in the anniversary update. I miss how smooth and optimized Windows 8 was, despite it’s terrible UX</p>

Premium Member
    07 February, 2017 - 8:24 am

<p>In addition to the other feature requests mentioned, I am hoping that the new/updated Explorer allows for a method of editing file properties (especially for audio and image files) that is not based on what came with Windows XP.&nbsp;</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC