Has any moved a Win 10 Pro pack upgrade from one Win 10 Home PC to another?

Hi everyone

A couple of years ago I got a PC that came with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro using easy upgrade via the Windows Store/Microsoft Store app.

That PC was never really powerful enough, and I recently got a new one. The new one also came with Windows 10 Home. I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.

I have reset the old PC to factory state, so now they’re both running Windows 10 Home.

In the Microsoft Store app on the old PC, I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free – there is a digital license linked to my Microsoft Account. On the new PC, the same upgrade costs $$$.

Does anyone know if I can transfer the pro upgrade to the new PC? I only want Windows 10 Pro for Hyper-V, so don’t need it on both PCs.

Conversation 1 comments

• Sprtfan

02 November, 2018 - 11:17 pm

<p>I don't know for sure, but I think if you buy a Windows Pro upgrade on a OEM Windows Home install, the upgrade will be tied to that hardware and can't be moved.</p><p>If you bought a full retail version of Windows 10 Pro, it can be moved to a different machine. At least that is how full retail versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 worked. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC