Has anyone lost files with the 1903 update??

My wife’s laptop got the “schedule, wait, now pop-up” the other day. She hates computers, BTW even though she went to school for programming and used to write database software for a bank. I said she might as well get it over with. She let it run last night. Today, it appears that her Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. have all been wiped. The folders are there, but they’re empty. It looks like AppData and other hidden user folders got it too since it looks like her Chrome extensions are gone and looks like a fresh install. I’m out of town. So I can’t see for myself for a few more days, but doesn’t sound good. Yes, she shutdown completely and rebooted this morning after it was done if anyone is wondering.

Anyone else see this? I feel like I’ve been time warped back to last year!

When I check Windows Updates on my laptop, it says “your device isn’t quite ready”. Now I’m kinda hoping it never is.

Conversation 9 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    13 August, 2019 - 4:34 am

<p>I've now updated over 50 PCs and laptops with 1903 and I haven't seen this.</p><p>Did she have any linking of the folders to another drive or location?</p>

• tapalenek

13 August, 2019 - 8:19 pm

<blockquote><a href="#448999"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a><em> No linked or otherwise moved folders. This is a plain vanilla installation. 500GB SSD C: drive with everything installed there in the default directories. No dual boot, separate data drive or anything else unusual.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• bharris

13 August, 2019 - 11:00 am

<p>That is the problem…If you ask 100 people, 98 of them are going to say that it worked flawlessly. Great for them but you're still in a mess. Even with good backups, there is still the lost time &amp; stress. </p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    13 August, 2019 - 11:33 am

<p>Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know. Maybe it just made a new profile for some reason and the old one with all her stuff is still there.</p>

• Patrick3D

13 August, 2019 - 12:53 pm

<p>Have her call Microsoft, at least, Microsoft's official response to the issue is to minimize use of the computer and call them directly so they can assist with recovering data.</p>

• tapalenek

13 August, 2019 - 8:27 pm

<blockquote><a href="#449074"><em>In reply to Patrick3D:</em></a><em> She probably doesn't have the patience to sit through however many hours on the phone. I did have her turn it off as shortly after she started describing everything. At first I was concerned she might have picked up one of the encryption malwares. Going over what she described, I don't think that's it. For one thing, she didn't get any pop ups asking her to send bitcoins to evilwebsite.ru. And, it all happened immediately after the website.</em></blockquote><blockquote><em>I guess I'll get to play IT support when I get home tomorrow night.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• coeus89

13 August, 2019 - 2:08 pm

<p>The first thing i thought of was, did the documents, pictures, etc folders exist on a different drive? Sometimes windows will default back to the C drive after an update. But it usually doesn't delete the old files, it is just pointing to a different place now. Good luck. I hope everything works out.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    13 August, 2019 - 2:45 pm

<p>What I have seen is the empty folders for Directories that has been redirected to other locations. </p>

• tapalenek

13 August, 2019 - 8:28 pm

<p>Thanks for all the comments so far everyone. I'll post what I find when I get home tomorrow night.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC