In Control with no Control: Perceptions and Reality of Windows 10 Home Edition Update Features

Conversation 3 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    27 February, 2019 - 1:00 pm

<p>Does this thing even come to a conclusion? I don't see it.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    27 February, 2019 - 6:04 pm

<p>Taken directly from Slashdot, I tried to read the paper and gave up.</p><p><br></p><p><em>The overall conclusions were a mixed bag. In general, the survey respondents </em><a href="https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-new-study-shows-home-edition-users-are-baffled-by-updates/&quot; target="_blank"><em>think that the Windows 10 update approach is an improvement</em></a><em> over that found in previous Windows versions. Among participants who had experience with earlier Windows versions 53 percent reported they felt updating Windows 10 is easier, versus only 8 percent who found the process more difficult. Similarly, a majority of respondents agreed that the Windows 10 update process causes fewer interruptions than in previous versions (43 percent agreed, 21 percent disagreed). Where Microsoft has fallen down, the researchers argue, is in building an update system that is "dependent on a complex range of user and system properties." That system, illustrated by the flowchart shown </em><a href="https://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2019/02/26/e6b97181-8ff6-4839-9813-16cbac7bf87b/24e83b6dbbf2273effbbae911c4cf73f/windows-automatic-update-flowchart.jpg&quot; target="_blank"><em>here</em></a><em>, is simply too complicated for the average home user to understand.</em></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    27 February, 2019 - 7:43 pm

<p>Looks like they used several thousand words to say what can be said in dozens: It's an improvement, but most users prefer to remain ignorant and won't learn that a computer is actually quite simple and explains itself readily. We could still be using Windows 98 and most people wouldn't notice.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC