Installing 1809 aka 1811

I am now trying to be a seeker and looking to install 1809. Is there anyway to force the update from Windows Update? I would prefer not to wipe my installation using a 1809 ISO image install.

Or am I doomed to wait for my Surface Pro 2017 to get it eventually?

Conversation 16 comments

• Kevin Costa

20 November, 2018 - 1:58 pm

<p class="inserted">Download the MediaCreationTool and install 1809. Simple as that.</p>

• karlinhigh

Premium Member
    20 November, 2018 - 3:05 pm

<p>It's possible to upgrade from an ISO without wiping the computer. Either mount the ISO file or insert the optical media, go to root of drive, execute setup.exe, and it should start the upgrade. Somewhere in the process, there will be a "what to keep" option that defaults to "keep everything," not sure exactly how it's worded.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    20 November, 2018 - 7:07 pm

<p>Is there any particular reason why you want to install it this quickly? Considering the issues that caused 1809's delay, it's best to wait as long as possible to install it if your PC is running fine right now.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      20 November, 2018 - 7:41 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#370416">In reply to rob_segal:</a></em></blockquote><p>I installed it on my PC so I could get used to it before it gets automatically installed to the rest of the machines in the office.</p><p><br></p><p>The feature I like best is if you hit the windows key and then type Excel it shows a list of the last so many files you edited so you can click on one of those and they open. Some apps did that before, but this one shows you more of them.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        21 November, 2018 - 4:07 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#370420">In reply to lvthunder:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, the search facility has been greatly improved and looks much cleaner now.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      21 November, 2018 - 8:03 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#370532">In reply to jean:</a></em></blockquote><p>This is the best way.</p>

• abbysoni

29 November, 2018 - 5:00 am

<p>Please be careful with this update as Microsoft’s recent&nbsp;<strong>Windows 10 October 2018 new update (version 1809) </strong>turned out to be a nightmare for many users. Most of the users reported that their important data &amp; files has been lost after installing or updating Windows 10.</p><p><br></p><p>So, I'm just suggesting you to be more cautious for your crucial data which you don't want to lose. </p><p><br></p><p>You can also check the blog from Stellar Data Recovery to know more about the Windows 10 October 2018 update bug that causes data loss.</p><p><br></p><p>https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/another-windows-10-october-2018-update-bug-identified-that-causes-data-loss/</p><p><br></p><p>Hope this information will help.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      29 November, 2018 - 5:51 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#374596">In reply to abbysoni:</a></em></blockquote><blockquote>Most of the users reported that their important data &amp; files has been lost after installing or updating Windows 10.</blockquote><p>If by most, you mean 0.1%, then yes… :-S</p><p><br></p>

• Tony Barrett

29 November, 2018 - 10:06 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#374598">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>Well, based on the fact that MS had only started a very limited rollout of 1809 before the reports started coming in, so only a fraction would actually have received it, I think 0.1% is very relevant – inexcusable infact that an OS upgrade can make wrong assumptions and delete user data! The fact MS ignored Insider reports before release, and MS skipped a vital final approval phase tells me they screwed up – big time. I'd still hold on all 'upgrades' for at least 3-6 months.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          29 November, 2018 - 10:12 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#374657">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, I agree it was something they should have caught.</p><p>I was referring to the trolling by the OP, "most" means &gt;50%, so less than 0.1% is not most.</p><p>It seems to just be spam for a data recovery company.</p>

• Lauren Glenn

29 November, 2018 - 1:13 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#374657">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Anyone who really complained about losing data either didn't have a backup or didn't have a current one. Unfortunately, this is a "life lesson" and it should hopefully get people to realize that it's easy to lose all your stuff…. and backing up can be really easy once you get it set up right. Just make sure if you lose stuff that you can retrieve it. If you don't know how to set one up, use Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. and just keep all your files that are important in there… and keep it all synchronized. </p><p><br></p><p>Or get an external drive with a good backup software that images your disc. Just do something so you're prepared. It takes less time to restore from a backup than to recreate stuff.</p>

• abbysoni

05 December, 2018 - 12:41 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#374598">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>Sir, I'm not saying whether its an issue for 0.1% or 2% or for 10%.. I just shared that there was an issue. And even Microsoft has confirmed the issue with a note on their support site&nbsp;that says,</p><p class="ql-align-center"><em>“We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)</em><strong><em>*</em></strong><em>&nbsp;for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.”</em></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          05 December, 2018 - 3:58 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#378243">In reply to abbysoni:</a></em></blockquote><blockquote>Sir, I'm not saying whether its an issue for 0.1% or 2% or for 10%…</blockquote><blockquote><em>Also wrote:</em></blockquote><blockquote>Most of the users reported that their important data &amp; files has been lost after installing or updating Windows 10.</blockquote><p>Yes, but you also said that "Most of the users", which is untrue. That was the part I was calling you out on.</p><p><br></p>

• ndelena

Premium Member
    29 November, 2018 - 10:16 am

<p>This is a good use-case for a test PC or a VM. After being burned on 1809 the first time around I'm going from seeking to hiding!</p>

• Lauren Glenn

29 November, 2018 - 1:10 pm

<p>1809 ISO install does NOT wipe your install. In fact, if you are running Windows 10 and use this, it will upgrade your system in place and the OS will be updated fine (except for the file wiping but from the first 1809, of course). Basically, just back up your PC before doing it just in case. But as it stands, you won't lose your programs, your registry is exactly the same as before, etc.</p><p><br></p><p>I've done it for every WIndows 10 build and never lost anything…. except for the 1809 ISO where one of my PCs lost the local directory but I had nothing of value in it anyway and had all my files in Dropbox.</p><p><br></p><p>The default setting is to upgrade in place. You only get the fresh install if you choose that option.</p><p><br></p><p>Download the ISO, mount the ISO by double clicking on it, and running setup.exe</p><p><br></p><p>Lauren</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC