Is the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade still free?

I know this technically ended on my birthday in 2016 (7/29) but I do remember the offer being free but not publicized until 1/2018. Has anyone tried this lately and gotten it to activate with an upgrade in place? I’m assuming that this is no longer the case.

Conversation 8 comments

• BrandonK

Premium Member
    25 October, 2018 - 3:50 pm

<p>This past weekend I used a Windows 7 key to activate a new install of Windows 10 Pro 1803 inside of VMware Fusion 11. This was a clean install, so might not be the scenario you're asking about, but it worked.</p>

• scoop

25 October, 2018 - 3:56 pm

<p>The free upgrade window is officially closed and is not likely to re-open—but unofficially, an upgrade from a legit activated copy of Win 7 will often result in an activated install of Win 10. I have done this myself. It is in Microsoft's interests to have all its OS users on Win 10. </p><p><br></p><p>If you upgrade 7 to 10 and get nagged to activate it, you can try a Win 7 or 8 product key for the equivalent version (Home or Pro). If that does not work you can try to activate it by phone. If all else fails, you can go back to Win 7 for 10 days after upgrading.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• faustxd9

Premium Member
      25 October, 2018 - 4:00 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#356592">In reply to scoop:</a></em></blockquote><p>That is great information. I have this exact case myself. Thanks!</p>

• GT Tecolotecreek

27 October, 2018 - 11:04 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#356593">In reply to FaustXD9:</a></em></blockquote><p>Just tried this to set up a VM in Fusion. Worked fine. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    27 October, 2018 - 1:17 pm

<p>Do a clean install and give it your Windows 7 key, that should do the trick.</p>

• ChristopherCollins

Premium Member
    27 October, 2018 - 2:04 pm

<p>Make sure you do the code during setup and not after. I have had some instances where I've setup the machine, then gave it a code and it wouldn't activate with a 7, 8, or 8.1 Key.</p><p><br></p><p>It always works if you do it in setup, though.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    27 October, 2018 - 2:08 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#357145">In reply to anurag281198:</a></em></blockquote><p>At least spell “upcoming” correctly, spammer.</p>

• Kevin Costa

30 October, 2018 - 4:03 pm

<p class="inserted">I work in IT, and yes, all W7, W8 and W8.1 product keys work to activate W10 right now. Doesn't matter if it's via clean install or in-place upgrade. It works. The only observation is the edition, that has to match, of course.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC