Microsoft announces Windows 10 will …

If you had one “headline wish” which would come true what would it be for Windows 10?

Mine would be: “Microsoft announces Windows 10 will be receiving a native iMessage app”

Conversation 46 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 11:48 am

<p>… will no longer display advertising anywhere in the OS.</p>

• Lordbaal

30 September, 2019 - 12:22 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472520">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>What advertising?</p><p>I've never once, in years, have seen any advertising.</p>

• Tony Barrett

30 September, 2019 - 12:52 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472540">In reply to Lordbaal:</a></em></blockquote><p>You've never seen those live tiles on a fresh install with all those 'promoted apps' (ie, ads). Not looking very hard are you..</p>

• Lordbaal

30 September, 2019 - 2:39 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472552">In reply to ghostrider:</a></em></blockquote><p>Those are promoted apps, and easy to get rid of. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
            02 October, 2019 - 5:24 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#472645">In reply to Lordbaal:</a></em></blockquote><p>They are still adverts and have no place on a new business PC. Especially as they install themselves automatically for each new user that logs onto the PC (unless you use some serious group policy hacking and PowerShell scripts).</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 1:42 pm

<p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/forums/microsoft/windows/thread/microsoft-announces-windows-10-will#472520&quot; target="_blank" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></p><p>As long as enterprise customers can expunge ads via group policy or standard images with ads already removed, this is mostly an issue for SMBs and noncommercial users. It may depend on how much MSFT makes from these ads, though if pennies per PC, it's probably a money-loser in terms of destroying user good will.</p><p>However back to enterprise customers. As long as they don't care, MSFT also doesn't care.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member

<p> … will no longer be updated twice per year with major version upgrades.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:23 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#472521">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>You are being too sensible, stop it! They are waiting for the Linux distros to blink and stop doing twice annual updates.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member

<p>… will let you opt completely out of telemetry.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:22 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#472522">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>Amen</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 11:49 am

<p>… will drop the Insider program and switch to something engineering-focused rather than marketing focused.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 11:49 am

<p>… will no longer ship to customers before it's fully tested. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:22 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#472524">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>But that would mean that they would have to re-hire all of those testers they got rid of.</p><p>Just think of the poor directors and their reduced bonuses! The poor darlings.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 12:07 pm

<p>… have an improved, more consistent theme design, icons, and typography throughout the entire OS.</p>

• Lordbaal

30 September, 2019 - 12:22 pm

<p>Will bring back Windows phone.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      30 September, 2019 - 12:48 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472541">In reply to Lordbaal:</a></em></blockquote><p>He was serious, not joking.</p>

• Lordbaal

30 September, 2019 - 2:33 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472548">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>I am too.</p><p>Beside apps. There's nothing wrong with it.</p><p>The handful of apps that I do use, are on there.</p>

• miamimauler

30 September, 2019 - 4:42 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472642">In reply to Lordbaal:</a></em></blockquote><p>"The handful of apps that I do use, are on there"</p><p><br></p><p>That was the problem though. Your use case was an exception rather than the norm. In my experience WP/WM had most of the big apps but let me down so often with small local apps.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
            01 October, 2019 - 4:55 pm

<p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/forums/microsoft/windows/thread/microsoft-announces-windows-10-will#472752&quot; target="_blank" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><em>In reply to miamimauler:</em></a></p><p>Not unlikely Firefox OS phones had all the apps those phone users used. Maybe also the case for Sailfish OS.</p><p>Does any phone hardware maker care about any mobile OS which can't reach 10% worldwide user share? Sure doesn't seem like it, and it sure doesn't seem even MSFT believes Windows Mobile has any chance of coming close to 10% worldwide.</p>

• codymesh

30 September, 2019 - 12:31 pm

<p>This might be an obvious one but I really hope they take some serious time to hamonize the interface(s) from the various eras. Right now Windows 10 really feels like i'm using 4 different OSes – the 9x era, the XP era, the Windows 7 era, and the present day.</p>

• StevenLayton

30 September, 2019 - 12:42 pm

<p>will stop teasing us and hurry up and ship that Surface Phone….</p>

• olditpro2000

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 1:33 pm

<p>Paul hit on all of the big ones already. Fixing display scaling would be nice. Microsoft simply finishing the job would be nice also (fully migrate from Control Panel to Settings app, etc.).</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:17 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#472580">In reply to OldITPro2000:</a></em></blockquote><p>+1 for settings. I've lost count of the times that, as administrator, the settings app tells me I don't have sufficient rights to view settings, let alone change them, and I have to open the old control panel and do the changes there instead.</p>

• reefer

30 September, 2019 - 4:06 pm

<p>Hire some decent Ux-designers that actually knows what they are doing. The default Windows 10 desktop user experience are simply terrible, its all over the place and its only confusing for the majority of users. I have witnessed that first hand over and over again.</p><p><br></p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
      01 October, 2019 - 4:48 pm

<p><a href="https://www.thurrott.com/forums/microsoft/windows/thread/microsoft-announces-windows-10-will#472734&quot; target="_blank"><em>In reply to reefer:</em></a></p><p>If you mean various parts of Windows itself, such as Control Panel still existing, it may be a matter of Windows providing backwards compatibility, which has been considered a strength. For example, 5-year-old or older configuration applets for old peripherals aren't going to change. Maybe there could be some way for Windows 10 to connect them directly into Settings, but they'd still look like Windows 7 era software when they're running.</p><p>If you mean application software looks different depending on which half-decade it came from, is that MSFT's fault? More to the point, is it anything MSFT could change?</p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
      01 October, 2019 - 5:54 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#472734">In reply to reefer:</a></em></blockquote><p>Tried using OSX or Chrome OS lately? Windows 10 is so much better designed; comments like yours are mind boggling.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    30 September, 2019 - 5:06 pm

<p>@THEJOEFIN</p><p><br></p><p>I'm with you. That is the only Apple envy I have. </p>

• anderb

Premium Member
    01 October, 2019 - 3:42 pm

<p>… start charging users an annual subscription fee</p>

• Thom77

01 October, 2019 - 7:05 pm

<p>… will allow delaying all downloading of updates, installing of updates, searching for updates, thinking about updates, updating the updates …. at any time, for any reason, for any duration … until death do you part.</p>

• martinusv2

Premium Member
    01 October, 2019 - 9:31 pm

<p>drop the windows kernel and use linux, you will still be using win32 app in vm containers.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:15 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#473678">In reply to MartinusV2:</a></em></blockquote><p>Why? The Linux Kernel isn't any more efficient than the Windows Kernel. Both are monolithic kernels and both have very big problems. Swapping one set of problems for another won't help the situation, in fact it will set things back as they fight a whole new bunch of problems.</p><p>If you are going to replace the Kernel, then replace it for something modern and managed, like Midori was supposed to be.</p>

• waethorn

02 October, 2019 - 12:32 am

<p>Courier anyone?</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    02 October, 2019 - 3:21 am

<p>…allow users to select a 'minimum install' so that they might tailor their individual configurations more easily</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:10 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#473724">In reply to JustMe:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes. No Store gunk, all privacy settings enabled, local account as default and no third party software pre-installed.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
    02 October, 2019 - 3:22 am

<p> …revert to the Windows 7/8.x method used for Windows Update</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 5:09 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#473725">In reply to JustMe:</a></em></blockquote><p>Hell no, Windows 7 update causes so many problems! I'm glad to see the back of it. I've had to "repair" the updates on 5 Windows 7 machines this year and no Windows 10 machines (hastily touches wood).</p>

• justme

Premium Member
        02 October, 2019 - 5:33 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#473735">In reply to wright_is:</a></em></blockquote><p>Lol – I do understand what you mean, as I have had to do the same at times. I suppose what I really want is the ability to control my own "update destiny". I would like the ability to choose which updates I do and do not install, and not have them (eventually) forced on me. </p>

• justme

Premium Member
    02 October, 2019 - 3:23 am

<p>…will do all the things Paul mentioned. :)</p>

• Tony Barrett

02 October, 2019 - 5:30 am

<p>…will be scrapped due to Microsoft having used up the worlds supply of storage for telemetry collection. No telemetry, no Windows 10.</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    02 October, 2019 - 5:58 am

<p>allow you to set a download time and limit for updates and a time to install them. </p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
      02 October, 2019 - 6:02 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#473756">In reply to madthinus:</a></em></blockquote><p>and the Xbox One the same. </p>

• crp0908

02 October, 2019 - 7:19 am

<p><span style="color: rgb(89, 89, 89); background-color: transparent;">Microsoft announces Windows 10 will drop WaaS and end the enterprise servicing nightmare. No more fragmentation of Windows versions! No more supporting 5+ different versions of Windows 10 at the same time.</span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(89, 89, 89); background-color: transparent;">"Windows 11 – the return to stability and sanity."</span></p>

• waethorn

02 October, 2019 - 11:13 am

<p>"….be discontinued."</p>

• Patrick3D

02 October, 2019 - 11:22 am

<p>"Microsoft announces end to bi-annual 'Feature Updates', will only release updates in response to Feedback Hub submissions with goal to clear out entire backlog of requested fixes."</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC