One postitive thing in 2020…

One positive change in 2020 is that Cortana no longer squawks at you, when you set up a new PC! Having to set up dozens of new laptops in the second half of 2020, it was thankfully quieter than in 2019, where Cortana would start chatting to you at full volume from almost the second you turned on the PC!

Did this come in with 20H1? I was just installing yet another laptop this morning, when I actually thought about how quiet the last few months have been (with regard to Cortana). When you have a bank of 5 laptops you are installing at the same time, it is a real pain to have them all squawking away out of sync with each other.

Although the set-up process does get annoyed now, if you don’t have a network connection for it to use a Microsoft account over. I selected “I don’t have Internet”… a minute later, it asks again, whether I want to join a network.

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    12 January, 2021 - 8:39 am

<p>I was just going over the "Install Windows 10" chapter of the book and thinking about this. I believe it's only fixed in Windows 10 Pro. Will need to check on that.</p>

• JE

13 January, 2021 - 2:30 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#607125">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>The ISO download for 20H2 no longer involves Cortana during setup. I’ve applied it to both home and pro licensed PCs in the last month.</p><p>What it does have however is two mildly annoying other screens. One which asks you to map numerous “My Documents” folders to OneDrive instead of local, and one that asks you survey questions about your intended usage and interests.</p><p>Both can easily be skipped however, and without any trickery on Microsoft’s part trying to hide the buttons. Overall it is (back to) a good, simple experience and I was pleased. Look forward to any further refinements that Panos’ involvement may bring for 2021 releases.</p>

• justme

Premium Member
      14 January, 2021 - 7:13 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#607125">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>The last two machines I set up Oct20/Dec20 (an HP and a Dell respectively) had W10 Home on them, and both still had Cortana doing her thing. Neither shipped with 20H2, however.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    12 January, 2021 - 8:45 am

<p>Another thing I've just noticed. I strip off all those ugly stickers on new devices as they come through. The worst were the Intel ones. On this last batch of Dell Latitudes, they have come off easy as pie. No sharp edges cutting in under your fingernails, no sticky goop left behind on the wrist-wrest. They just came off in one go.</p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
    12 January, 2021 - 10:14 am

<p>It is the little things that make life bearable.</p>

• ghostrider

12 January, 2021 - 1:08 pm

<p>TFFT. Hearing an room full of Win10 builds going with Cortana spouting off in that oh-so condescending voice was worse than having teeth pulled. Feeling sorry for the 'Home' users though!</p>

• txag

13 January, 2021 - 9:47 pm

<p>I was a university professor; I retired in 2018 and worried about money when the salary stopped. But I was glad that I didn’t have to deal with the changes in my profession this past year. My wife worked in a high school and she was set for retirement in May of 2020. But actually, her job stopped in March in spring break week and she never went back.</p><p><br></p><p>One positive thing in 2020: being retired simplified life greatly.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC