The Guardian kills for Windows 10 phone and desktop app

https://www.theguardian.com/help/insideguardian/2017/nov/23/retiring-the-guardian-app-for-windows-10-phone-and-desktop

Conversation 14 comments

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    23 November, 2017 - 6:37 pm

<p>Oh, the Guardian?</p><p><br></p><p>No real loss.</p>

• JimP

24 November, 2017 - 5:50 am

<blockquote><a href="#220256"><em>In reply to jimchamplin:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>True, but it could be the beginning of the end for UWP apps. There's not much point in creating a "universal" Windows app that only runs on one platform (Windows desktops/laptops).*</p><p><br></p><p>* Before anyone says it, yes, I know that UWP apps run on Hololens, Surface Hub, XBox, IoT etc., but these markets are too small to be significant.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        24 November, 2017 - 7:30 pm

<blockquote><a href="#220363"><em>In reply to JimP:</em></a></blockquote><p>It was just a cutting quip, but yes. It <em>is </em>bad for the platform. </p>

• Tony Barrett

24 November, 2017 - 6:17 am

<blockquote><a href="#220256"><em>In reply to jimchamplin:</em></a></blockquote><p>Maybe not, but it's yet another <em>high profile</em> loss, that will be reported across all the tech sites. Another reason for consumers not to even consider Microsoft phones, ever.</p>

• VancouverNinja

Premium Member
        24 November, 2017 - 1:54 pm

<blockquote><a href="#220366"><em>In reply to ghostrider:</em></a></blockquote><p>MS phones are not a thing anymore. </p>

• Jules Wombat

24 November, 2017 - 2:14 pm

<blockquote><a href="#220412"><em>In reply to VancouverNinja:</em></a></blockquote><p>Did you actually read the article ?</p><p>They are stop developing the Windows 10 App. This is not so much a Phone centric decision, its an indictment on the whole Windows 10 App model. </p>

• skane2600

25 November, 2017 - 1:47 am

<blockquote><a href="#220413"><em>In reply to Jules_Wombat:</em></a></blockquote><p>IMO, there was never a compelling reason for metro/modern/UWP apps to exist other than to promote MS's mobile products. On a non-mobile platform, the browser is more than adequate. It's on mobile where the browser experience sucks so that apps are important. The Guardian doesn't make a MacOS app for exactly the same reason it won't make a UWP app for the desktop – it's simply not needed.</p>

• JimP

27 November, 2017 - 1:32 pm

<blockquote><a href="#220577"><em>In reply to skane2600:</em></a></blockquote><p><br></p><p>You're exactly right. There's not much point to a "Universal" Windows app that (effectively speaking) – only runs on one platform.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        24 November, 2017 - 7:32 pm

<blockquote><a href="#220366"><em>In reply to ghostrider:</em></a></blockquote><p>That's true, but it's also at this point, incredibly obvious. Instead of pointing it out again, I decided on irreverent and cutting commentary about The Guardian.</p>

• rameshthanikodi

23 November, 2017 - 8:38 pm

<p>Remember back when everyone thought mobile apps were going to replace the mobile web? Good times.</p>

• skane2600

25 November, 2017 - 1:38 am

<blockquote><a href="#220274"><em>In reply to FalseAgent:</em></a></blockquote><p>To a great extent that's exactly what happened, just not on MS's mobile platform due to its tiny market share. The story didn't say anything about the Guardian dropping their iOS or Android app in favor of the mobile web.</p>

• Luis_Sohal

24 November, 2017 - 3:07 am

<p>Call on &amp;&amp;**866).(877).(9859)__++</p><p>#Outlook Support Number</p><p>#Micrsosoft Support Number</p><p>#Outlook Password&nbsp;</p><p>#OutlookSupport&nbsp;</p><p>#HotmailPasswordRecovery</p><p>#OutlookandMicrosoft Support Phone Number</p><p>Call ***866).(877).(9859&gt;&gt;&gt;</p><p>outlooksupport.net</p><p><br></p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    24 November, 2017 - 10:59 pm

<p>Is there a purpose for UWP without a living, breathing mobile OS? I doubt it. Worse than the Guardian killing their app is the lack of new UWP apps from major app developers. I keep an eye on the store and can't remember the last time major UWP apps launched, if such a time actually existed. There are more Centennial apps that are interesting than there are UWP apps, it seems like.</p>

• skane2600

25 November, 2017 - 1:33 am

<blockquote><a href="#220564"><em>In reply to rob_segal:</em></a></blockquote><p>I guess my perspective is different. I couldn't care less about "major" apps on any mobile platform because the mobile experience is almost always inadequate. What I miss on my WP is commercial apps from airlines, restaurants etc. Those apps are fairly simple so the mobile compromise is less of an issue. Those kind of mobile apps are important to me because the mobile browser experience is also inadequate. </p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC