TPM and Secured-core is not new

I found this while surfing some Win 11 install sites. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-highly-secure

Conversation 7 comments

• wright_is

Premium Member
    14 July, 2021 - 8:56 am

<p>Hmm, my first reply seems to have disappeared.</p><p><br></p><p>Secure core PCs have been discussed as an optional SKU for corporate administrators for a while now.</p><p><br></p><p>But Windows 11 will make them mandatory, even on home PCs.</p>

• simont

Premium Member
    14 July, 2021 - 10:08 am

<p>I could see it being a requirement for new PC’s. It’s difficult for older PC’s.</p><p><br></p><p>I will be buying a new PC next year, to run Windows 11. But mainly because my CPU is a 3rd Gen i5 and is now 7 years old so it’s time to upgrade :)</p>

• scoop

14 July, 2021 - 10:20 am

<p>I had trouble posting the OP, since this site appears to be quite wary of external links. The point I tried to make got lost: The MSFT doc in the link is dated January 2020. The TPM 2.0 and core-level security is not new with Windows 11. That might explain why MSFT seems not to have prepared for the blowback from folks with PCs a few years old. To them, this is nothing new. Typing this on a T430 with a third-gen i5 and TPM 1.2, that has run every version of Windows from 7 through 10 Pro as well as multiple flavors of Ubuntu and Mint, with no performance or security issues.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
      14 July, 2021 - 7:33 pm

<p>If you have a third-gen i5 then you have security issues. No one may have exploited those issues, but they are there nonetheless.</p>

• wunderbar

Premium Member
    14 July, 2021 - 10:42 am

<p>Microsoft has required Windows 10 PC’s to be TPM equipped since 2015. What’s new in windows 11 is making it mandatory for it to be turned on.</p><p><br></p><p>So no, TPM ability in Windows is not new. TPM being *required* in Windows 11 is new.</p>

• garythornberry

Premium Member
    14 July, 2021 - 4:08 pm

<p>Considering how hard it is to keep things safe from hackers, I welcome the new requirements (without a technical background to understand TPM or Pluton). Using Windows 11 to advance security seems reasonable to me. <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">One does not need Windows 11 for productivity.</span></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span class="ql-cursor"></span></span>I was going to order a new PC in August if Pluton was available. Now I will wait until Windows 11 and Pluton are released (late fall?).</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC