Why can’t Windows 10 Control Panel deinstall applications?

I have this problem with all PCs. If you start the modern control panel app and go into apps and tell it to delete a Win32 app, it says that the user does not have the privileges to deinstall the app.

Open the old style “Add/Remove Programs” in the old control panel and it is quickly removed from the PC.

What is wrong with the configuration or why does it show applications in the modern view that it cannot deinstall?

Conversation 6 comments

• BigM72

30 January, 2019 - 5:28 am

<p>For me, the modern settings can uninstall any application that the old control panel can, there is no limitation. But I just checked and my user (the only one on my PC) has admin rights.</p><p><br></p><p>Even then, the modern panel should work if the old one does. Are you signing in to your PCs with an enterprise managed account or something?</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      30 January, 2019 - 5:58 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#400555">In reply to BigM72:</a></em></blockquote><p>I'm logged on either as local admin or domain admin (in local administrators group).</p><p>This is on a home PC (Windows 10 Pro 1809) and work PCs (Windows 10 Pro 1709, 1803 and 1809).</p><p>It seems to be older software that causes problems.</p>

• Hoomgar

30 January, 2019 - 12:47 pm

<blockquote><a href="#400558"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a><em>&nbsp;&nbsp; Are the PC's running on an upgrade from a previous version of Windows vs a Clean install of 10?&nbsp; Just a thought…</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
          31 January, 2019 - 12:39 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#400665">In reply to Hoomgar:</a></em></blockquote><p>Some and some; some are clean installs, some on 1709 or 1803.</p>

• Kevin Costa

30 January, 2019 - 6:29 am

<p>I had this problem recently, because a group policy was denying my action (I was in classic add/remove programs as a domain admin). I manually changed the policy and then uninstalled the application. I still prefer the classic panel way of uninstalling things, because it's more efficiently and compact, but regarding your question, both "Add/Remove Programs" panels do the job properly in a normal situation (standalone workstation).</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      30 January, 2019 - 6:32 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#400563">In reply to Kevin_Costa:</a></em></blockquote><p>That is the interesting thing, the new panel won't but the old one will. So it isn't a GP that applies to both.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC