Will Win7 & 8 product keys still activate Windows 11?

Simple enough question, considering the only machines supported are ones that should’ve shipped with nothing older than Windows 10.

Conversation 5 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    30 September, 2021 - 8:43 am

<p>Yes. At least as of today. I test this regularly.</p>

• Sprtfan

30 September, 2021 - 11:15 am

<p>I had an issue in the past were I upgraded a full retail version of Windows 7 to Windows 10, I then built a new computer and moved the retail Windows 7 to it without issue but I was no longer able to activate Windows 10 on it. I can’t remember the exact message but it was something along the lines that the free upgrade to Windows 10 has already been used for that Key. Will I probably run into the same problem with a Windows 11 upgrade then?</p>

• tjnmcghkg

30 September, 2021 - 11:46 am

<p>fdgbdf</p>

• alissa914

02 October, 2021 - 8:20 am

<p>tjycdjyvjvd. ;)</p>

• snow.steve22

Premium Member
    01 October, 2021 - 2:23 pm

<p>It’s not free, but almost… You can get Windows 10 (or 11) Professional for $20.00 or less by buying a legitimate Windows 8.1 Pro Product Key (presumably these are OEM licenses) from a reputable dealer and using that key when Windows 10 complains. MS has a lot invested in getting as many people as possible off Windows 7 and 8. It’s a nice clean arrangement and you don’t need to be registered for the Insiders program. The only thing is it’s attached to the system and not portable like full-blown licenses are (or were.)</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC