Win 10: Update immediately; urgent?

Not sure if this is for real or more non-tech press over-reaction: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/tech/windows-10-microsoft-security-update-trnd/index.html

Conversation 6 comments

• bharris

14 August, 2019 - 4:25 pm

<p>I don't doubt the "critical vulnerabilities"….but for the vast majority of people, they get updates automatically anyhow so what's the point?</p><p><br></p><p>Best line of article…"<span style="background-color: rgb(254, 254, 254);">Other operating systems, such as Windows XP, are not affected." I mean Windows 7 might of been worth pointing out but XP? If you're reading this story on a XP system, you're probably already infected with something so don't worry about this. </span></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      15 August, 2019 - 12:29 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449310">In reply to bharris:</a></em></blockquote><p>Yes, it isn't that XP isn't affected, it is that XP isn't under support, so generally won't be tested and won't be patched.</p>

• crp0908

15 August, 2019 - 9:35 am

<p>It helps to set context by reading the Microsoft msrc blog post that is linked in the CNN article. The vulnerability in question affects RDP similar to BlueKeep. Microsoft was so concerned about BlueKeep that it released patches for XP for it which is long after support for XP ended. Hence the mentioning of XP.</p>

• AnOldAmigaUser

Premium Member
      15 August, 2019 - 10:55 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449431">In reply to crp0908:</a></em></blockquote><p>Unfortunately, Microsoft did not take the time, in their blog post, to point out that XP and Windows Server 2003 are no longer supported, and anyone running those systems connected to the internet is vulnerable in many other ways not related to RDP.</p>

• Polycrastinator

15 August, 2019 - 10:04 am

<p>File under "important but not critical." The exploit isn't being used in the wild yet, and I've seen some reports of the patch causing system problems including breaking Windows booting completely, so I'd hold off for now (and typically I'm gung ho for installing patches as soon as they're available). It'll start being exploited eventually, but there's probably going to be some time before that happens, so there's no need to panic.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      15 August, 2019 - 10:08 am

<blockquote><em><a href="#449436">In reply to Polycrastinator:</a></em></blockquote><p>The DHCP patch is more critical. If you aren't exposing RDP on the open internet, this isn't as critical as it sounds.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC