Windows 10 2004 roll out

I have a couple of questions:

My work computer clearly state that I cannot get the update at this time, due to a blocker. That is great, clear communication. Could be more detailed, but ok. Looking at the blocking list, I sort of guess the Connexant audit chip is the issue. So HP needs to deliver a newer driver.

Now my home computer and my Surface Pro 4, when I check Windows Update it tells me nothing!

Does that mean it is OK to manually install the update? Or is the blocking message just failed to display? Or are they just not making the feature update available to me at this time because my machines is not yet on the targetted list / group?

This to me is where it breaks down. Either make the thing available when you say it is available. Or be clear that it is available, but they have not specifically targetted your computer yet for an upgrade. Or simply move away from all this and state, we will automatically upgrade computers. If you download the manual tools, we will at the time of install apply compatibility / know issue checks before allowing you to proceed. This will be an online only experience going forward.

Oi Microsoft, can you please just communicate!

Conversation 23 comments

• madthinus

Premium Member
    04 June, 2020 - 5:37 am

<p>The picture has not posted :-(</p>

• epguy40

08 June, 2020 - 3:45 pm

<p>this guy got the May 2020 (v2004) update on his Surface Pro 4 device:</p><p><br></p><p>twitter.com/teroalhonen/status/1270019381603549190</p>

• Dave P

08 June, 2020 - 5:07 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#545433">In reply to epguy40:</a></em></blockquote><p>I just bought a used <em>Surface 3 (!) with Windows 10 Pro and 4GB RAM. </em>I am running the May 2020 Update with no problems. 🙂 </p>

• epguy40

10 June, 2020 - 1:31 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#545433">In reply to epguy40:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>also saw this on Bleeping Computer recently – Microsoft fixed bug blocking Windows 10 2004 on Surface devices</p><p><br></p><p>www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixed-bug-blocking-windows-10-2004-on-surface-devices/</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    08 June, 2020 - 6:32 pm

<p>Just use the media creation tool and install it from USB. It doesn't really care what you're installing on. I'm not sure it even checks on a clean install!</p>

• epguy40

10 June, 2020 - 1:33 pm

<p>There's a recent report from this ComputerWorld page saying that some Win10 PCs are being upgraded to the version 2004 update without user consent:</p><p><br></p><p>www.computerworld.com/article/3561597/some-win10-pcs-are-apparently-being-upgraded-to-version-2004-without-consent.html</p><p><br></p><p>I wonder what Mr. Thurrott's opinion or reaction to this recent Computerworld article would be :)</p>

• miamimauler

10 June, 2020 - 11:05 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#545812">In reply to epguy40:</a></em></blockquote><p>The article writer in Woody Leonhard states the following,</p><p><br></p><p>"Some are convinced the forced upgrade is intentional. Others – including me – think these particular forced upgrades occur because of a bug"</p><p><br></p><p> These stories have yet to be confirmed but for the sake of the discussion let's assume the reports are accurate.</p><p> I'm curious what your view is epguy40. Do you believe it be be a deliberate action by MS or do you believe it is a system bug?</p>

• epguy40

06 July, 2020 - 4:32 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#545864">In reply to miamimauler:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>it's more of a "bug" than deliberate as only very few people had been inadvertently upgraded to v2004 w/out consent, miamimauler</p><p><br></p><p>btw, there's this ZDNet article saying that MS has lifted the 2004 upgrade block for some MS surface devices (or was supposed to remove the upgrade block but a few people who have surface devices are still unable to upgrade to 2004):</p><p><br></p><p>www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-removes-the-windows-10-2004-block-on-surface-devices/</p><p><br></p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      11 June, 2020 - 8:42 am

I’ve never heard of such a thing myself. Certainly, there have been times in the past where Microsoft pushed updates without consent, and other times where this has happened by mistake.

• madthinus

Premium Member
    11 June, 2020 - 3:53 am

<p>I moved this weekend using the upgrade assistant to 2004. No real issue to report, worked as expected. </p><p><br></p><p>The Windows 10 as a service model to me has always been wrong headed and the twice yearly update even more so. </p><p><br></p><p>Although they have given some control over the process, it is no where near to where I think it should be. The process is still slow on a mechanical drive and running in the back ground even more so. Plus it is still happening to many times unexpectedly. And lastly, having updated an older computer recently, it is still a dumb process. It wanted to update 1709 to the latest cumulative update and download 1909 at the same time, resulting in both failing. So yeah, lots more to fix in the Windows update process. </p><p> </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
      11 June, 2020 - 8:33 am

Hear, hear.

• hastin

Premium Member
        08 July, 2020 - 1:14 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#545903">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p>I will say, the experience upgrading a new-to-me Surface Book 2 was pretty easy. It was running 1803 (MS Surface recovery image), and I got a page during OOBE that there was a new feature update (with option to install it). After setup, it downloaded<em> only</em> the feature update (1909) and not other patches, and installed it at the first reboot.</p>

• anderb

Premium Member
    01 July, 2020 - 7:52 pm

<p>I haven't been offered the update yet on my vanilla home build box but I did notice MS changed the update text from the very fake news "your device is not ready for it" to the more accurate "when it is ready for your device".</p>

• anderb

Premium Member
      04 July, 2020 - 7:39 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#551452">In reply to anderb:</a></em></blockquote><p>So according to Microsoft, the 2004 update is blocked on my PC because I'm using Intel integrated graphics. I guess it's my fault for selecting such an obscure graphics platform!</p><p><br></p><p><strong><em>Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel iGPU</em></strong></p><p><em>Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues when using a monitor with Variable refresh rate (VRR) plugged into an Intel integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) display adapter and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for games using Direct X 9.</em></p><p><br></p><p><em>To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected drivers or firmware from being offered Windows 10, version 2004.</em></p><p><br></p><p><a href="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#425msgdesc&quot; target="_blank">https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#425msgdesc</a></p&gt;

• StevenLayton

05 July, 2020 - 6:21 am

<blockquote><a href="#551452"><em>In reply to anderb:</em></a><em> "Fake news"? Not heard that term on this site before! But you're right, the terminology was wrong.</em></blockquote><p><br></p>

• navarac

05 July, 2020 - 4:14 am

<p>In answer to the last sentence, they don't and never have been capable of communicating! Don't ask for the impossible :)</p>

• winner

07 July, 2020 - 7:38 pm

<p>Microsoft communication training for new employees. When asked a question or to comment on a Microsoft solution or situation, choose one of:</p><p>a – obfuscate, answer with many words but little meaning</p><p>b – answer "We don't have anything to say about that at this time"</p><p>c – Don't address the item at all in your communication</p><p><br></p><p>Under no circumstances should you provide a clear concise answer.</p>

• epguy40

07 July, 2020 - 8:58 pm

<p>looks like the Win10 v2004 version is still not being rolled out to some MS Surface users, including Ms. Foley of ZDNet:</p><p><br></p><p>www.askwoody.com/2020/foley-microsoft-still-isnt-offering-win10-version-2004-to-surface-laptop-3-other-surface-devices/</p><p>www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-removes-the-windows-10-2004-block-on-surface-devices/</p><p><br></p><p>"<strong>Update (July 7)</strong>&nbsp;Still no release of the block for Windows 10 2004 on my Surface Laptop 3 or other blocked Surface devices, according to readers I’m hearing from. I’ve asked Microsoft twice more what’s going on, given this was supposed to be unblocked within 48 hours as of June 29. Still no word back."</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    08 July, 2020 - 11:23 am

<p>To be fair, I did a fresh install on my Thinkpad last night after my annual Linux check-in and didn't even realize I'd installed 1909! I honestly couldn't tell a difference. If you're expecting a dramatic improvement in performance, or finding some crazy-go-nuts new feature, you'll be disappointed. Just sit tight, or if you really want it, grab an ISO and do it the old-fashioned way :D</p>

• epguy40

17 August, 2020 - 8:04 pm

<p>from Softpedia news – Windows 10 Version 2004 Released for More Users</p><p>news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-version-2004-released-for-more-users-530819.shtml</p><p><br></p><p>And MS has lifted the 2004 upgrade block for those using old nVidia graphics devices &amp; old nVidia display drivers on Aug. 13:</p><p>docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#418msgdesc</p><p><br></p><p>"<strong>Resolution:&nbsp;</strong>This issue was resolved in KB4568831 and the safeguard hold has been removed as of August 13, 2020. Please note, if there are no other safeguards that affect your device, it can take up to 48 hours before the update to Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 is offered."</p><p><br></p>

• epguy40

07 September, 2020 - 6:44 pm

<p>well well,</p><p><br></p><p>looks like MS "patch Lady" Susan recently had one of her machines that got automatically upgraded to v2004 without her consent or approval:</p><p><br></p><p>www.askwoody.com/2020/patch-lady-anyone-else-getting-2004/</p>

• rusty chameleon

09 September, 2020 - 12:04 am

<p>"crawl out"</p>

• epguy40

18 September, 2020 - 3:23 pm

<p>ehh, I may skip the 2004 release on some of my PCs and just wait for 20H2 to come out next month since 20H2 is almost ready for public release and will upgrade to that one instead</p><p><br></p><p>blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/09/18/preparing-the-windows-10-october-2020-update-ready-for-release/</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC