Windows 10 20H2 ISO Download

For the record, what is the official way to source the ISO file for burning to DVD?

Microsoft seems to do a great job of making this as difficult as possible to locate from numerous previous experiences.

When I buy/refresh a PC, I like to do it properly and blow away all the partitions and start with a fresh HDD and vanilla windows. From experience DVD is still the best way to achieve this vs the USB stick alternative, correct?

Comments (9)

9 responses to “Windows 10 20H2 ISO Download”

1. jimchamplin

It’s the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. It typically isn’t updated until a few weeks after the release.

2. Paul Thurrott

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. dftf

Follow Paul's link and (if you're doing so from a Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 PC) you'll get a download for the "Media Creation Tool". This is the best way to create a bootable ISO because (1) it auto-verifies no corruption in the download and (2) it creates an ISO image that is actually small-enough to burn to a standard (single-layer) DVD.

If you visit Paul's link from a different OS (such as your phone), or modify the user-agent of your browser to lie and say you're not on Windows, then you'll get direct-download links to the raw ISOs, but the 64-bit image then is too-big (6.2GB) to burn to a standard DVD.

There's no difference between doing a clean-install from DVD or USB media, aside from that DVD will obviously take longer as it's not read as quickly (especially if the computer has a USB 3.0 port and your USB-device supports such speeds). You'll still get the exact same 20H2 install at the end.

4. epguy40

FYI folks:

the 20H2 upgrade assistant tool & media creation tool (MCT) are version 10.0.19041.572. the MCT will download a 20H2 ESD file with build 19042.572 and convert it into an ISO.

the "pure" 20H2 ISO downloads from the MS Techbench Win10 downloads page contain build 19041.508 as I downloaded one myself.

better use the media creation tool instead since that one creates an "updated" 20H2 ISO with the .572 build