Windows 10 20H2 ISO Download

For the record, what is the official way to source the ISO file for burning to DVD?

Microsoft seems to do a great job of making this as difficult as possible to locate from numerous previous experiences.

When I buy/refresh a PC, I like to do it properly and blow away all the partitions and start with a fresh HDD and vanilla windows. From experience DVD is still the best way to achieve this vs the USB stick alternative, correct?

Conversation 9 comments

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    21 October, 2020 - 3:55 pm

<p>It’s the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. It typically isn’t updated until a few weeks after the release.</p>

• hastin

Premium Member
      21 October, 2020 - 5:16 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#587736">In reply to jimchamplin:</a></em></blockquote><p>If you look, it's updated already: MediaCreationTool20H2.exe</p>

• dftf

21 October, 2020 - 6:43 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#587751">In reply to hastin:</a></em></blockquote><p>The "Upgrade Assistant Tool" has also been updated, though oddly refers to 20H2 as "Windows 10 Version 2009"…</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
        21 October, 2020 - 8:19 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#587751">In reply to hastin:</a></em></blockquote><p>I think that's the fastest it's ever been. Thanks for mentioning it! Time to update all my USB sticks :D</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    21 October, 2020 - 4:19 pm
    • epguy40

21 October, 2020 - 7:00 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#587738">In reply to paul-thurrott:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>the 20H2 ISO downloads from that page contain build 19042.508, Paul</p><p>I know because I checked the inside contents of one of the 20H2 ISO downloads myself</p>

• dftf

21 October, 2020 - 6:40 pm

<p>Follow Paul's link and (if you're doing so from a Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 PC) you'll get a download for the "Media Creation Tool". This is the best way to create a bootable ISO because (1) it auto-verifies no corruption in the download and (2) it creates an ISO image that is actually small-enough to burn to a standard (single-layer) DVD.</p><p><br></p><p>If you visit Paul's link from a different OS (such as your phone), or modify the user-agent of your browser to lie and say you're not on Windows, then you'll get direct-download links to the raw ISOs, but the 64-bit image then is too-big (6.2GB) to burn to a standard DVD.</p><p><br></p><p>There's no difference between doing a clean-install from DVD or USB media, aside from that DVD will obviously take longer as it's not read as quickly (especially if the computer has a USB 3.0 port and your USB-device supports such speeds). You'll still get the exact same 20H2 install at the end.</p>

• epguy40

21 October, 2020 - 6:59 pm

<blockquote><em><a href="#587756">In reply to dftf:</a></em></blockquote><p><br></p><p>if OP has a dual-layered DVD burner in his old PC, he should use either a DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL disc to write or burn a 64bit 20H2 ISO</p>

• epguy40

21 October, 2020 - 6:57 pm

<p>FYI folks:</p><p><br></p><p>the 20H2 upgrade assistant tool &amp; media creation tool (MCT) are version 10.0.19041.572. the MCT will download a 20H2 ESD file with build 19042.572 and convert it into an ISO.</p><p><br></p><p>the "pure" 20H2 ISO downloads from the MS Techbench Win10 downloads page contain build 19041.508 as I downloaded one myself.</p><p><br></p><p>better use the media creation tool instead since that one creates an "updated" 20H2 ISO with the .572 build</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC