Windows 10 a "security disaster waiting to happen" noted by ZDNet?

I saw this ZDNet article titled “Windows 10 is a security disaster waiting to happen. How will Microsoft clean up its mess?” written a few days ago by Ed Bott:

www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-is-a-security-disaster-waiting-to-happen/

I wonder what Mr. Paul Thurrott and others think of that article from ZDNet

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    17 November, 2021 - 10:01 am

<p>This is clickbait. </p><p><br></p><p>Let’s complain about what’s wrong now, not what might happen in four years. Windows versions EOL. That’s what happens. Microsoft often extends support, too. We’ll learn about that in 3.5 years. </p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      17 November, 2021 - 10:18 am

<p>Yes, this is a bit of a non-story. Yes, that old hardware can’t be upgraded, but a lot of it will probably be so old and slow that it won’t run Windows 10 at a reasonable speed, let alone Windows 11, which benchmarks are showing is generally running a little slower than Windows 10 on the same hardware.</p><p><br></p><p>My XP laptop struggled with Windows 7 – it took about 10 minutes for the desktop to load and opening Word after that was another few minutes. The hardware still worked, but it couldn’t realistically be upgraded (original Pentium M with 256MB RAM and 80MB drive).</p><p><br></p><p>My Vista PC could upgrade to Windows 7, because it was lighter than Vista. But it struggled with Windows 8. (Pentium Core 2 Quad, 2GB RAM, 250GB drive, MB couldn’t be expanded further.)</p><p><br></p><p>My current Ryzen 1700 will probably still be relatively quick, but I’m guessing the Core i3-6xxx series machines we have at work aren’t going to be in a fit state to run Windows 10, let alone Windows 11 in 3 years.</p><p><br></p><p>I’m pretty upset with MS about Windows 11 – the stripping away of useful features I use all-day-every-day, like Jump Lists – and the artificial hardware requirements; again, I was behind them when they said it was for enhanced security, then showed that was a lie by allowing it to be installed on older hardware anyway.</p><p><br></p><p>But Ed’s story is the same story we get every time an old version of Windows reaches end of life. Still working hardware can’t be upgraded, because it is too old and too slow and needs to be replaced. It is a shame, I used to respect Ed, but this story is, as you said, just clickbait.</p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
      17 November, 2021 - 10:38 am

<p>Agreed. There are countries where many people are still running Windows XP. Windows 10 may or may not add to the number of computers running an unsupported version of Windows, but it will not happen for years yet. The problem is not Windows 10, it is people who do not understand that using an unsupported operating system is a bad idea. The choice is often driven by economics though. </p>

• red.radar

Premium Member
    17 November, 2021 - 12:05 pm

<p>I think people overstate the risks with security. The amount of people writing active exploits for older versions of windows is rather small. As long as you can detect the issues and have good data backups I see no reason you can’t Personally run an operating system passed its support date. </p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

• crp0908

17 November, 2021 - 2:17 pm

<p>I agree with what others have said regarding the ZDNet article. It does seem a bit exaggerated and premature. A lot can occur in 3.5 years. Hopefully we should expect Microsoft’s plans to change for the better before then. Perhaps this ZDNet article is just public encouragement to Microsoft to consider changing those plans sooner rather than later. Microsoft wants to be seen as a company who finds security extremely important. So what better way to get their attention by publicly claiming that their Windows 11 upgrade plans are going to adversely impact how the Windows ecosystem as a whole will be perceived from a security standpoint?</p>

• madthinus

Premium Member
    18 November, 2021 - 2:44 am

<p>This is just another take on my hardware is not supported"". Seriously. I have an I3 7series based laptop at work. We already had to add RAM and an SSD to keep it suitable for my tasks. Which is Excel spreadsheets and too much email. It has another year of life left, then it will be replaced after the 4 years lifecycle. It was a bad buy, but what ever. When it is replaced it will be a good day. </p><p><br></p><p>Six series i7 class laptops and even 7 series Core i7 laptops are showing their age. They need more RAM and most have been upgraded with SSD’s. However, the workload requiring that classes of products have moved on and a newer laptop with quad cores is much more suitable for the job. </p><p><br></p><p>8th series brought quad core designs to most. Those machines are just better suited to modern tasks. You have now, a VPN client, Mail, Teams and a browser open before I open my actual work horse that is Excel and SAP. Dual core does not cut it. So thank you Microsoft for moving these machines out to pasture, just like single core chips no longer cut it. </p>

• shark47

18 November, 2021 - 7:43 am

<p>People are okay with replacing phones after two years, but complain when 6/7 year old laptops are no longer supported. I bought an Essential phone in 2018. Two years later, it wasn’t even receiving security updates.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC