Windows 10 blocking EdgeDeflector

According to Daniel Aleksandersen, Microsoft has pushed the illegal Win11 EdgeDeflector blocking functionality onto Windows 10 with the latest CU. For some reason I haven’t seen this reported by any other tech sites.

Conversation 7 comments

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    15 December, 2021 - 2:10 pm

<p>I wrote about the update that triggered this here:</p><p><br></p><p>https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/260277/oh-microsoft</p><p><br></p><p>But yes, it’s on both Windows 10 and 11.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    15 December, 2021 - 2:39 pm

<p>So which law does it break since you claim it is illegal? I could see calling it anticompetitive, but it’s not illegal unless it is determined to be by a court. It’s why criminals are called alleged until they are convicted in court.</p>

• miamimauler

15 December, 2021 - 9:41 pm

<p>@Ivthunder</p><p><br></p><p>"<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">So which law does it break since you claim it is illegal?"</span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">I’ve just read that article twice and I can’t see where Paul called it illegal.</span></p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
        16 December, 2021 - 12:32 am

<p>ZAKAND called it illegal in the original post. Sometimes the threading isn’t properly shown in the comments, Safari mobile is notoriously bad at this.</p>

• miamimauler

16 December, 2021 - 2:32 am

<p>@wright_is</p><p><br></p><p>Oh, I see. It looks like Ivthunder is responding to Paul’s post.</p><p><br></p><p>Thanks for the clarification.</p>

• rob_segal

Premium Member
    15 December, 2021 - 3:14 pm

<p>It’s anticompetitive to a certain degree, but it’s not yet found to be illegal.</p>

• bkkcanuck

15 December, 2021 - 3:53 pm

<p>It is not illegal until they are found guilty of something. A lot of the anti-trust stuff from back in the day was overturned in the US, and it is likely that MS would have won — but Microsoft settled because the government playing hardball with the threat of a breakup… was just too high a risk to take the thing to the end. The EU had their own solution. I think it is anti-user, anti-competitive when it comes to browsers which were not ‘integral’ to the desktop OS up until now… so I would like it to be illegal… but that is up to congress.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC