Windows 10 blocking EdgeDeflector

According to Daniel Aleksandersen, Microsoft has pushed the illegal Win11 EdgeDeflector blocking functionality onto Windows 10 with the latest CU. For some reason I haven’t seen this reported by any other tech sites.

Comments (7)

7 responses to “Windows 10 blocking EdgeDeflector”

1. Paul Thurrott

I wrote about the update that triggered this here:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/260277/oh-microsoft

But yes, it's on both Windows 10 and 11.

2. lvthunder

So which law does it break since you claim it is illegal? I could see calling it anticompetitive, but it's not illegal unless it is determined to be by a court. It's why criminals are called alleged until they are convicted in court.

• miamimauler

@Ivthunder

"So which law does it break since you claim it is illegal?"

I've just read that article twice and I can't see where Paul called it illegal.

• wright_is

ZAKAND called it illegal in the original post. Sometimes the threading isn't properly shown in the comments, Safari mobile is notoriously bad at this.

• miamimauler

@wright_is

Oh, I see. It looks like Ivthunder is responding to Paul's post.

Thanks for the clarification.

3. rob_segal

It's anticompetitive to a certain degree, but it's not yet found to be illegal.

4. bkkcanuck

It is not illegal until they are found guilty of something. A lot of the anti-trust stuff from back in the day was overturned in the US, and it is likely that MS would have won -- but Microsoft settled because the government playing hardball with the threat of a breakup... was just too high a risk to take the thing to the end. The EU had their own solution. I think it is anti-user, anti-competitive when it comes to browsers which were not 'integral' to the desktop OS up until now... so I would like it to be illegal... but that is up to congress.