Windows 10 drivers – manufacturer windows update or generic?

Hello,

I know this topic has been covered many times, but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer. Windows 10 generally is quite good at installing most drivers on its own, but most of the time these are stripped down versions. This is true for Nvidia drivers or sound chips. So I would imagine that its best to get those drivers from their respective manufacturers in order to get all the features and performance. What about motherboard drivers, wifi, bluetooth etc?

I recently bought an ASUS UX401uq laptop and this is where I’m coming from: on the ASUS support site most drivers are couple of months old, Windows Update provides mostly up-to-date drivers for things like Intel Management Engine, Intel Dynamic Thermal Framework etc, but fails to provide them for the Intel Graphics (year old) or Nvidia 940mx (3 months). Intel provides its generic drivers. Finally there is a blog that aggregates all drivers for ASUS hardware and provides updates for all drivers, that normally are impossible to find.

So if I’m aiming for maximum battery life and stability, which drivers should I use?

Conversation 3 comments

• nightmare99

15 April, 2017 - 2:47 pm

<p>Windows 10 is pretty good at getting you the correct drivers, if you are clean installing Windows 10 then only add other drivers if required.</p><p><br></p><p>We do a lot of ASUS and from my experience on a clean install all you really need is;-</p><p>ATK Package</p><p>Smart Gesture (if the notebook does not have a precision touchpad)</p>

• rameshthanikodi

16 April, 2017 - 10:56 am

<p>I would go with the drivers ASUS gives you, if you have a problem with those then install the ones from Windows Update. Usually it's fine to get the Intel drivers from Windows Update. If you play games you're going to want to get driver updates from Nvidia as well.</p>

• msedkowski

Premium Member
    17 April, 2017 - 8:26 am

<p>This is basically the problem where each time this question is discussed, opposing arguments are made. I wonder if anyone ever made any benchmarks looking into this? </p><p>Another thing is that Windows 10 has a tendency of overwriting newer drivers with older ones from Windows Update (happens often with Intel Display Drivers), so all in all it creates a bit of confusion.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC