Windows 10 Installation

THIS IS A RANT!! :O

The installer asks for an active network…

Why the hell should I have to update any Store apps after install? Why aren’t the newest versions pulled down and become the default installs?

Come on, MS. Why in hell’s name don’t I get every single bit of the newest code when I clean install?

I deserve to install shit where I want to on my computer. I don’t care if it’s internal or removable storage, it’s not YOUR CHOICE where I put my cloud files. It’s just as annoying having Dropbox tell me “THAT’S A REMOVABLE DRIVE!”

No crap. I don’t care. Put it there.

I’m really not joking. The same kind of bullshit corporate decisions lead to this shit. TIME FOR IT TO END FOREVER. CORPORATE OFFICERS SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHT WHERE I PUT THINGS ON MY COMPUTER. I don’t want Candy Crush! Stop making me have to uninstall it!! I want my Dropbox files on a microSD card. Stop telling me I can’t. It’s my computer. I WANNA USE IT THE WAY i WANT TO!!

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Conversation 8 comments

• Josh

Premium Member
    22 May, 2018 - 6:58 am

<p>I migrated a clients Dropbox folder onto a MicroSD card by mounting the card as a folder (on a then new Surface Pro 3). I visited them again earlier this month and it's worked without issue – even with BitLocker enabled on the card. I can't help with the Microsoft part of the rant though..</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      22 May, 2018 - 11:19 am

<blockquote><a href="#278005"><em>In reply to Josh:</em></a></blockquote><p>Ohhhhhh, that’s perfect. I’ve already got the card configured for other uses, but I could create a vhd on it and mount that!</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
    22 May, 2018 - 8:44 am

<p>You are getting the latest versions, that is why you need a network connection. They create an install image at a set point in time and between that point in time and the instant you do the install, various bugs and security issues have been found and patched.</p><p>It is not possible to create a new install image, test it, make sure it works reliably and push it out every couple of hours, just to ensure you have the latest install ISO. </p><p>They make an ISO at a point in time and it is a known quantity, any patches that have appeared since then have been packaged up and tested and they are downloaded when the system is installed, hence the need for an active network connection.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      22 May, 2018 - 11:20 am

<blockquote><a href="#278013"><em>In reply to wright_is:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yeah, and what Paul said was also a great point. </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    22 May, 2018 - 8:51 am

<p>Just playing devil's advocate here, but the system is designed so that you don't have to do anything. Those apps are updated on the fly. If you're technical and understand what's happening, you can manually check for app updates, and, yes, there many be many of them. But so what? The goal here is to get the user up and running as quickly as possible. App updates are minor.</p><p><br></p><p>As for the location of apps and crapware … sure. These things were done for the benefit of someone other than the user. But the app update thing is the opposite.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      22 May, 2018 - 11:17 am

<blockquote><a href="#278015"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Thats a great point. If it did all that at install, that would add an unknown amount of time dependent on network connection. And if there isn’t one, setup would fail.</p><p><br></p><p>I should have thought of that but I was so perturbed about arguing with Dropbox about where I want my files that it just tipped me riiiight over the edge!</p>

• F4IL

22 May, 2018 - 4:11 pm

<p>What you're referring to is basically what certain linux distributions do. If they detect active networking during setup, they will directly download and install the latest versions of whatever is part of the OS (firmware, drivers, apps, browsers, etc). This is generally preferred, since they can avoid installing the old version of said apps, rebooting into the new install, updating and rebooting all over again. In addition, there are no previously installed applications that may leave any unwanted files behind as they're being updated.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    23 May, 2018 - 8:48 am

<p>The other thing that occurs here is that Store apps are per user, for better or worse. So they need to be updated for each user, not just once on the PC. I'm sure there's a reason, but regardless, if you do have multiple users, or if you add a user to the PC, there is a set of steps that needs to happen on first sign-in (where it says "Hi," … etc.) and updating those apps for each user could add up as well.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC