Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Pricing differences?

So, a person who has a system with Windows 10 Pro in S Mode only has to pay 50 dollars to from S Mode to full Pro while those running the Home SKU has to pay $99.99 to upgrade. Should or shouldn’t upgrade pricing be the same for both?

Conversation 3 comments

• skane2600

04 February, 2018 - 5:55 pm

<p>I would guess that the idea would be that a customer has already paid more for the Pro version. </p><p><br></p><p>We'll have to see how this actually plays out, but if the S Mode version of Pro were the only version of Pro available and you had to pay extra (after already paying for the OS) to get full Windows Pro, it's going to piss off a lot of people. </p><p><br></p><p>There isn't going to be much demand for a S Mode version of Pro (it's almost an oxymoron). So if both options are available most people will buy the full version and if not, most people will probably sit on their hands instead of buying a new PC.</p><p><br></p><p>The Windows 10 S PC has retroactively become more of a trial balloon than a sustained product, so perhaps S Mode will follow the same path if not greeted with hearts and flowers.</p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    04 February, 2018 - 5:58 pm

<p>No, they're not the same product. </p><p><br></p><p>Today, Windows 10 S is Windows 10 Pro running in a special mode. So the upgrade cost to full Pro is less than it is for Home, which is a lower-end version of Windows 10.</p>

• wright_is

Premium Member
      05 February, 2018 - 12:01 am

<blockquote><a href="#243061"><em>In reply to paul-thurrott:</em></a></blockquote><p>Now that it is sold as Windows 10 Pro in S mode, this is obvious. When it was first released as "castrated" Windows 10, the "special" treatment they were getting seemed unfair to those that were forced to buy a Windows 10 Home PC and upgrade it to Pro (that is the real rub, I always use Windows 10 Pro, but the hardware I want is usually sold only with Home installed, so I have to calculate in the $150 – $200 (depending on exchange rate) for the upgrade to Pro).</p><p>Getting the free upgrade or for $50 seemed like a kick in the teeth. Now it is just annoying, because hardware I generally want is still running Home, not S or Pro…</p><p>That said, I was lucky with my current Ryzen 7 rig, it was sold with Pro pre-installed, the first time I've managed to get the hardware I want with the OS I want since I bought my last Amiga…</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC