Windows 10 S for individuals

I was thinking, and I’m sure a lot of you would agree that 10 S should be offered as the free-of-charge version of Windows 10. Up front, I think that in such a case, I’d definitely accept that the cost to upgrade to Pro would neither get a free grace period, nor be discounted to $50. I’d guess that the regular $199 cost of 10 Pro would apply.

But this might be a really great way to deal with several problems at once for them.

One: The number of illegitimate copies of Windows around the world. Offer 10 S gratis to them. Get them legal, and get them using the Store.

Two: Older hardware. MS should play up that Windows 10 S’ more “lightweight and streamlined” approach benefits older hardware. Talk about how the UWP apps run better on older hardware, use less resources, and are more secure. Add during setup an offer to get four months free of Groove Music, or to install Spotify automatically from the Store. User’s choice.

Three: Make the case to younger folks who help support family members. I’m not joking on this. Offer people like us who have to do family tech support a no-cost way to get their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, on an up-to-date, secure version of Windows that’s tailored for their more technophobic tendencies. Of course, it’s not for everyone, but we’re intelligent enough to know if 10 S would serve our family members’ needs.

Just a few possible ways to help improve things without going to much effort. It gets people in the door, gets them to look at the Store, and notice that hey… There actually is stuff there. Office? Spotify? Evernote? Facebook Messenger? Netflix? That’s stuff they use. Might as well give the rest of the stuff a look.

Just please don’t capitalize “free.” That’s so tacky.

Conversation 2 comments

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    10 May, 2017 - 4:07 pm

<p>Do people run Windows JUST TO RUN WINDOWS? Or do they run Windows in order to run particular application software? Wouldn't ALL the bootlegged Windows 8.x, 7, XP and older versions be running desktop software which almost certainly doesn't run under Windows 10 S?</p><p>Windows 10 S may be lighter on resources than Windows 7 and Vista, not so much vs Windows 8, and not at all vs Windows XP, which at SP3 could still comfortably run in 256MB RAM. Don't try that with any Windows 10 SKU. As for UWP apps using less system resources, it depends. I'll accept that Edge uses less than other browsers. OTOH, I've checked reported RAM usage for the Calculator and Paint3D UWP applets, and Windows reports them using A LOT MORE RAM than older Windows versions' desktop applets. Maybe Windows 10 can free up RAM allocated to UWP apps not in focus, but the claims of less system resource use seems like marketing blather rather than demonstrable fact.</p>

• skane2600

10 May, 2017 - 7:02 pm

<blockquote><a href="#115479"><em>In reply to hrlngrv:</em></a></blockquote><p>Yes, and of course freeing up resources for apps not in focus isn't free – it takes time to restore state. Resources are more precious on a phone than on a PC. Just another "universal" compromise.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC