Windows 10 SE

Guys/gals,

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone make this analogy yet, so I’m going to go ahead and do it. Forgive me if it’s been done.

But doesn’t Windows 11 seem to Windows 10 what Windows 98 SE was to Windows 98?

Not that that’s a bad thing.

I just don’t see a revolution here. It’s more … wait for it … evolution (wow, how profound of me).

And it’s strange because Windows 98 SE was well received — it fixed genuine issues with Windows 98.

And Windows 11, even though it contains some cool stuff, is also making changes that are rubbing people the wrong way, which is a nicer way of saying p*ssed off.

I mean … am I looking forward to it? I’d say, yes, but I don’t even think I’m going to “seek” it. Probably wait until their omniscient telemetry thinks I’m ready.

I think we are going to have a very interesting 2022 as we watch this unfold.

Conversation 8 comments

• Lauren Glenn

02 September, 2021 - 9:57 am

<p>Windows 11 seems more like XP -&gt; Vista although without the loss of compatibility.</p>

• lvthunder

Premium Member
    02 September, 2021 - 10:58 am

<p>Revolution doesn’t happen in things that are as old as Windows is. Look at other devices in your house. Have there been revolutionary changes in your kitchen appliances. Nope. How about your phone. Nope. Revolutionary changes only happen to new devices.</p>

• erichk

Premium Member
    02 September, 2021 - 11:03 am

<p>That sounds about right … but man, Windows 95 sure felt like a breakthrough compared to Windows 3.x.</p><p><br></p><p>Unless you were on a Mac or an Amiga, I guess. ;-)</p>

• pecosbob04

02 September, 2021 - 5:28 pm

<p>Like the meme said; Windows ’95, Mac ’84.</p>

• vladimir

Premium Member
    03 September, 2021 - 8:53 am

<p>It would have been difficult to push hardware changes for an SE version</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    03 September, 2021 - 12:00 pm

<p>It does very much feel like that, though I feel it’s more like 98/98SE to Windows Me. There are noted improvements across nearly the entire system but with some noted downsides. Overall an improvement. (For the record, I ran a retail full install version of Windows Me on a system I built and experienced no issues with it. YMMV. I’m speaking about "on paper" improvements.)</p><p><br></p><p>And regarding changes angering users, Microsoft could have released Windows 7 again and called it 11 and somehow people would be complaining.</p><p><br></p><p>22 years ago, we welcomed development and change. It was exciting and new. Now it seems like a lot of folks just want to complain about everything.</p>

• epguy40

06 September, 2021 - 1:53 pm

<p>not sure about all this "talk" about SE for Windows 10</p><p><br></p><p>first of all Windows 11 is the first consumer based OS version to be available in 64bit platforms only (X64 and ARM64)</p><p>there is no 32bit/x86 only version of W11</p><p><br></p><p>second, the UI in Win11 almost feels like a different OS than Win10.</p><p><br></p><p>about answering the OP’s question:</p><p>"But doesn’t Windows 11 seem to Windows 10 what Windows 98 SE was to Windows 98?"</p><p><br></p><p>IMO, the answer I will give is NO</p><p>The Windows 10 anniversary update or 1607 version (aka. Redstone 1) released in summer of 2016 felt like an SE version of W10 to me as that one seemed to be a matured version at that time than when Win10 was first released back in 2015</p><p><br></p>

• spacein_vader

Premium Member
    08 September, 2021 - 11:18 am

<p>This comes up a lot, XP improved drastically at SP2 and 7 is essentially Vista SE, the name change was to duck the negativity the Vista brand had accumulated. Hopefully 11 really is 10 but polished but that remains to be seen.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC