Windows 11 22H2 Thoughts

Since Windows 11 22H2 was ready for Prime Time, I decided to give it a shot, following Paul’s Directions (I did the ISO Upgrade.)

A few things stand out for me:

• I cannot find a way to add a printer manually via IP Address. Devices and Printers now go to the new SETTINGS page and I only see ways to install via WSD. If there is still a way to do this in new interface, let me know.
  • .NET 3.5 cannot be loaded via Windows Features or by the download. I tried many reboots and even logged in as Admin and still will not install.

Any thoughts?

Conversation 13 comments

• lwetzel

Premium Member
    08 June, 2022 - 9:58 am

<p>Would this be it?</p><p><br></p><ol><li>Click the Start Menu button to do a search</li><li>Type "Device and Printers"</li><li>Select Add a Printer at the top</li><li>select "The printer that I want isn’t listed"</li><li>Select "Add a printer using an IP address or hostname"</li><li>Click "Next"</li></ol><p><br></p><p>Hope that is what you’re after.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
      08 June, 2022 - 1:31 pm

<p>Sadly, Devices and Printers goes to the "new Settings"…I understand phasing out the control panel but we still need this manual option. </p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
        08 June, 2022 - 2:26 pm

<p>using the steps I listed I get to Devices and Printers that was normal to Control Panel. If you go through Settings you can’t get it.</p><p><br></p>

• wolters

Premium Member
          08 June, 2022 - 3:17 pm

<p>So believe you but when I type that, it just finds nothing and takes me to a web article about Devices and Printers. </p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
        08 June, 2022 - 2:29 pm

<p>I just click the start menu and type devices and printers. </p>

• Maverick010

08 June, 2022 - 2:12 pm

<p>With Windows 11 22H2 It was reorganized slightly. You can go to</p><p><br></p><p>Bluetooth &amp; devices – Printers &amp; scanners – Add device</p><p><br></p><p>Give it a moment, and you will see an option for Add manually. Click on that and you will get a screen that you can now find your printer or AIO device by other options including IP address. Hope that better helps.</p>

• lwetzel

Premium Member
      08 June, 2022 - 2:35 pm

<p>That is exactly the screen I get to with my method. Yours may be shorter.</p>

• Maverick010

08 June, 2022 - 2:50 pm

<p>Correct you still can get to the screen by typing it in the search bar on the left once in settings. I just happen to point him to the options to click on without any typing. The last part though was changed where you now need to click add device and wait a moment for the add manually option to show in order to get the device options screen to populate allowing to add by IP address, hostname, bluetooth, etc when doing a fresh device/printer setup from within Windows 11 22H2.</p>

• wolters

Premium Member
      08 June, 2022 - 3:31 pm

<p>Thank you…I see it…I mean, I am glad it is still there but Windows is still Frankenstein for sure, even if they think they are trying to get off legacy screens. </p>

• anoldamigauser

Premium Member
    09 June, 2022 - 11:46 am

<p>I think you might need to install a legacy program that requires .NET 3.5 to get it on a Windows 11 machine.</p>

• wbtmid

Premium Member
    09 June, 2022 - 3:33 pm

<p>I have an old HP Deskjet printer that no longer had a driver available. I was able to copy the driver from a Win 10 machine and load in Win 11 using the printmanagement.msc plugin to the console. I have three machines running Windows 11 using the printer via an IP address. The old Control Panel is still available )on the computer I am currently using, You might try adding a printer from there as well. It has been too long for me to remember the exact steps, sorry. Hopefully this might help you find the information you need to figure this out. I do recall I had to do some web searches to figure it out. Microsoft should have information on the Printer Console mentioned above available by a search.</p>

• dftf

09 June, 2022 - 3:52 pm

<p>To install .NET Framework 3.5 via optical-media, open a Command Prompt running "as Administrator" and run:</p><p><br></p><p><strong>DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:\sources\sxs</strong></p><p><br></p><p>Needless to say replace "D:\" before the last-part with whichever drive-letter contains the install DVD, or if you’ve double-clicked on the ISO image, the letter it gets mounted-to in <em>File Explorer. </em>Not sure whether this site will change some of the slashes in the bold comment above — if so, it should be a "forward-slash" before each part, but "black-slashes" in the file-path part at the end</p>

• epguy40

13 June, 2022 - 4:01 pm

<p>saw this report on Neowin that a few people got offered the Win11 22H2 feature update, even on "unsupported" PCs:</p><p>www.neowin.net/news/people-on-unsupported-hardware-are-being-offered-windows-11-22h2-upgrade/</p><p><br></p><p>but that was short lived as Microsoft eventually stopped offering 22H2 to non-supported systems</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC