Windows 11 ads

Is anybody starting to get ads either in notifications or the Start Menu that Windows 11 is coming? Seems iffy that Microsoft can just push more ads about their own software onto all their users.

And what really annoys me is the PC I am getting these ads on can’t even run Windows 11 as the CPU is too old.

Conversation 11 comments

• navarac

15 July, 2021 - 1:16 pm

<p>No – I use Stardocks Start10 on my only Windows (Gaming) PC. It stops those shenanigans.</p>

• navarac

15 July, 2021 - 2:16 pm

<p>However, Todays (15 Jul 21) Build 22000.71 introduces adverts to Widgets in the form of a widget to send you to the Microsoft Store. Needless to say, I have Widgets disabled in the System Registry.</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
      17 July, 2021 - 8:13 am

<p>Perhaps its a good thing they announced Windows 11. That means they will leave Windows 10 alone the next few years. </p>

• simont

Premium Member
        17 July, 2021 - 12:55 pm

<p>Would be nice, but I would expect multiple Windows 11 ads to try and push as many people to Windows 11 as possible.</p>

• samp

16 July, 2021 - 8:32 am

<p>I got two ads, a couple days after it was announced, that W11 was coming. If I remember correctly, it said something on the lines of "check your PC is eligible", which mine was. </p>

• Alastair Cooper

17 July, 2021 - 5:26 am

<p>What do you imagine would stop them given that it’s software they’ve created?</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
    17 July, 2021 - 8:12 am

<p>Thank god I am running Windows 10 Enterprise and I have turned them off. </p>

• Paul Thurrott

Premium Member
    17 July, 2021 - 11:11 am

<p>I actually saw this ad in Windows 11. :)</p>

• sherlockholmes

Premium Member
      17 July, 2021 - 12:15 pm

<p>So they tell you that a product is coming in a product you already use. Oh Microsoft. </p>

• simont

Premium Member
        19 July, 2021 - 9:43 am

<p>I had an ad for Office/Microsoft 365 in Office, which is a waste as I already have a family subscription that I have renewed for multiple years.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
    20 July, 2021 - 12:59 am

<p>| <em>Seems iffy that Microsoft can just push more ads about their own software onto all their users.</em></p><p><br></p><p>Point to <strong>anything</strong> in the EULA which would prevent MSFT from displaying ads in Windows or MSFT application software.</p><p><br></p><p>If we’re talking US contract law, anything not explicitly prohibited is permitted.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC