Windows 11 – C: system folders appearing in D:

I might be giving up Windows 11 beta for bit. I just got my taskbar and system tray back after this weeks fiasco. Now that a Win 11 Iso is available, I decided to backup some stuff to a portable USB drive just as extra precaution with my Dropbox so I could do a scratch install.

I keep my Dropbox base folders on my D: drive, so I selected all the folders there and copied them to the portable drive. Then I started getting odd popups to confirm moving files that were obviously not personal files.

That’s when I noticed Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users, and Windows seemed to be appearing duplicated in my d: drive. These seem to be links back to the real files in C: and not a second copy. I tried to move and rename a few and it wouldn’t allow it just like the C: version.

I am on the dev channel but 30 days from release this is a pretty serious ‘undocumented feature’. Since I’m planning to do a scratch install anyway, I’m probably going to grab my 21H1 stick for now.

Conversation 2 comments

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    06 September, 2021 - 10:35 am

<p>It’s a new feature.</p><p><br></p><p>System File Discombobulation.</p>

• winner

06 September, 2021 - 2:34 pm

<p>My Apple II released an OS (ProDOS) in about 1983 that eliminated the need for drive letters.</p><p><br></p><p>Over 35 years later, Windows still has archaic drive letters.</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC