Windows 11 Insider

FYI: My 11 year old Pentium 860 (64 bit) that has been in the Dev channel for some time upgraded to Windows 11 without a hiccup. In fact it was faster, easier, and better than previous upgrades to Windows 10.

Conversation 4 comments

• dftf

01 July, 2021 - 12:48 pm

<p>They have said that during the testing-phase of <em>Windows 11</em>, devices that won’t be eligible to run the final (RTM) version will still be able to run it. But at the end of the testing, you won’t get any more updates (aside from definition-updates for the <em>Windows Security</em> app) and will have to reinstall <em>Windows 10</em> back on the device.</p><p><br></p><p>Which seems stupid to me… only devices capable of running the final version should also get the <em>Insider</em> versions.</p>

• innitrichie

12 July, 2021 - 6:26 am

<p>This answers the question I was about to ask about updates for unsupported hardware once RTM hits. :)</p><p><br></p><p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Windows 11 runs beautifully on the 6th gen CPU machines I have which will surprise no one. I have no problem going back to Windows 10 if Microsoft insists that I do once the RTM hits. I won’t be buying new computers to run Windows 11. :)</span></p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
    03 July, 2021 - 1:27 am

<p>They could drop the absurd CPU requirements and let it run.</p><p><br></p><p>I think the TPM 2 requirement is fair though for security.</p>

• epguy40

14 July, 2021 - 12:58 pm

<p>but not all old systems can actually support TPM2</p><p><br></p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC