Windows 11 on unsupported system.

Windows 11 runs on the very same hardware as Windows 10. You only have to get it to install. Best way is to get an ISO, burn it to CD or USB, then install it manually using diskpart, dism, and bcdboot.

I’m not sure how to embed an image, or use a link on the new comment system, so… I guess… here’s the URL to a photo of the System About panel in 11’s Settings app.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/edd6eed3-be81-4f06-bbc6-0b6693f2e2a6/deniqv4-8aaada9e-bf2f-4cd1-b6d5-15f6d0fcf67e.jpg/v1/fill/w_1032,h_774,q_70,strp/thinkie_by_thejimmyjames_deniqv4-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZWRkNmVlZDMtYmU4MS00ZjA2LWJiYzYtMGI2NjkzZjJlMmE2XC9kZW5pcXY0LThhYWFkYTllLWJmMmYtNGNkMS1iNmQ1LTE1ZjZkMGZjZjY3ZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Wt8BPyhQud9ybmSIkdmGYoFmSL11dNDico9hYhBStWo

Conversation 14 comments

• navarac

20 July, 2021 - 8:07 am

<p>Just keep in mind that at the moment these are test builds and Microsoft is allowing it to be tested on "unsupported" hardware. Come the "RTM" issue, if Microsoft is bloody minded about it, it just may not load on some/all "unsupported" hardware, though.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      20 July, 2021 - 12:35 pm

<p>I’ll wager that it remains a check in the installer. If they’re going to make changes to the kernel that keep it from executing on certain CPUs, that’s not something they’ll want to save for RTM.</p><p><br></p><p>At least, that’s my logic.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        20 July, 2021 - 7:00 pm

<p>I’ll admit I have no idea exactly how the Windows boot loader works, but if it’s modular and modules can be added fairly simply, say adding an new value in some subkey of HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet, it wouldn’t be all the difficult to add, and if the ONLY things it did were check that a system meets minimum specs; if so, proceed with the standard boot-up process; if not, display a message saying TIME TO REVERT TO WINDOWS 10. In those circumstances, I doubt it’d need months of pre-release testing.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          20 July, 2021 - 9:12 pm

<p>Okay, that’s valid.</p><p><br></p><p>And it would be a pretty wretched move to say the least :D</p>

• polloloco51

20 July, 2021 - 10:54 am

<p>I truly hope Microsoft allows those with TPM and secure boot to install Windows 11 at launch. Perhaps at least, at minimum, with a Haswell i5 or i7 processor.</p><p><br></p><p>I still cannot understand Microsoft’s rationale for nixing millions of perfectly fine Windows 10 PCs!</p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft either</p><p>Wants to significantly boost hardware sales with Windows 11. They’ve entered an agreement with OEMs to do this.</p><p>Or </p><p>They truly care about making Windows 11 like "Fort Knox". Almost like Chromium OS security.</p><p>Or </p><p>They have gone full crazy and just decided to cut off millions of perfectly fine PCs, for no reason at all. Perfectly fine meaning, meeting the modern standards of computing </p><p><br></p><p>Microsoft really needs to explain their rationale for Windows 11 better. </p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
      20 July, 2021 - 12:36 pm

<p>A little of each I feel is true. The ransomware issue is exploding, right at a time when COVID-fueled PC buying is cooling off.</p>

• hrlngrv

Premium Member
        20 July, 2021 - 7:10 pm

<p>Ransomware runs either after a user login is fully authenticated, so TPM not useful, or it runs in the background after a PC is up and running but no user has yet logged in, so again TPM not useful. I can understand TPM with respect to authentication, but does Windows ever authenticate the SYSTEM account? I can also understand TPM with respect to stolen laptops with encrypted SSDs/HDDs. However, I can’t see TPM doing anything to prevent ransomware. Nor UEFI. Nor GPT. Unless most ransomware is based on rootkits.</p>

• jimchamplin

Premium Member
          20 July, 2021 - 9:14 pm

<p>But it will definitely getting the attention of CEOs who will be bothering their CTO endlessly about securing the computers with Windows 11. </p>

• navarac

21 July, 2021 - 3:18 am

<p>Doubt it, somehow. We all know how reluctant Enterprises are to change.</p>

• genek1953

20 July, 2021 - 4:39 pm

<p>I can’t help wondering, why not permit installation on PCs without TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot with a dire warning that you’re not going to realize Windows 11’s fullest security potential? </p><p><br></p><p>Wouldn’t you want your users to have the most secure OS their PCs can run?</p><p><br></p><p>The only conclusion I can come to is that Windows 11 on a PC that lacks TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot must somehow be <em>less secure</em> than Windows 10 on that same PC.</p>

• navarac

21 July, 2021 - 3:19 am

<p>Trouble is, one less secure PC makes the rest of vulnerable, especially in an Enterprise.</p>

• genek1953

22 July, 2021 - 9:01 am

<p>I guess then that Microsoft doesn’t see those of us who just run a PC or three on a home network as a customer base worth pursuing any more.</p>

• epguy40

28 September, 2021 - 11:08 pm

<p>here’s a FAR BETTER method – use an updated MediaCreationTool batch script file that creates Win11 install media that also bypasses the Win11 hardware requirements as noted in these recent articles from Neowin &amp; Bleepingcomputer:</p><p><br></p><p>www.neowin.net/news/this-free-windows-11-install-tool-bypasses-tpm-and-system-requirements-check/</p><p><br></p><p>www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-11-install-script-bypasses-tpm-system-requirements/</p>

• epguy40

18 March, 2022 - 7:33 pm

<p>looks like the upcoming KB5011563 update for Win11 (build 22000.588) or newer makes Win11 show the "system requirements not met" watermark message on the desktop but there’s a fix to disable that message once that new update is installed:</p><p><br></p><p>www.elevenforum.com/t/kb5011563-windows-11-insider-beta-and-release-preview-build-22000-588-march-15.5217/</p>

Windows Intelligence In Your Inbox

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Thurrott © 2024 Thurrott LLC